Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Transformer- Output volatge control

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Hi,

I have a 240V: 2500V AC transformer, 1VA, 50hz.

1. I want to control and reduce the secondary from 600~2500V, can I use a light dimmer to control the Primary input? Will it do the trick?

2. Will it be very dangerous if I accidently touch the 1VA, 0.0004A, 2500VAC?

Thank you,
Victor

A dimmer uses a Triac, and therefore its output is not purely sinusoidal. Because of this, the transformer is subjected to a highly distorted waveform with a lot of harmonics. If that's okay for your load side, then this could potentially work, but is not an ideal solution. The high frequency content of the distorted waveform is also hard on the windings of the transformer. It may also be severe enough to hear when standing next to it. As far as the danger of touching 2500V, I wouldn't recommend it. Would you trust the rating of the transformer? What if they're off by a factor of ten? This is a dangerous voltage!

VictorPS said:
Is there other method to control output voltage of a transformer for my case?

Depends on your funds available. A Variac would do exactly what you want. A Variac will adjust your mains supply right down to 0VAC and in most cases it will actually increase your Mains supply to approx 264VAC, Feed this into your transformer and off you go!

FM...

Use a variac to alter the input voltage from 0 to 240V.

Yeah, a variac would be your best bet, though they can get kinda expensive. If you need control though, a variac is the only way really.

So, variac's ? Can I control the input voltage on the drive H.O.T on tv set without saturating it ? Let's say to put the anode to the cathode to draw an arc ? And what is the danger of radiating myself in the process ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back