Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hiperfet driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amitoha23

Hi

i am new this forum , hello to all .

My name is Amit and i am Electronic engineer .

i am having some issues driving Ixfn340n07 Hiperfet, i read the only thread regarding this matter , and i did not manage to fine solution to the problem .

Does anyone have a driver circuit scheme that can drive this Mosfet ?

i am using PWM base on ne555 and TC4422 driver . i assume the main issue is to turn the hiperfet on and off.

my final goal is 0-60V PWM with 120A nominal current .

Thank you For any help in this matter .

Regards

I don't know what problems you are having, but it looks like you have a good driver for the FET. Just make sure to make the leads short and to decouple the driver Vcc. 1Ω in the gate lead might be a good idea.

The drain to source voltage is only 70 volts so depending on what your load is this may be pushing your FET if you run it at 60 volts.

Last edited:
it seems to heat up and explode over 15A .

i placed a 4700Uf 63V as the driver decouple capacitor . i did not place any resistor on the gate can this bring to failure ?
the lead to the mosfet was 20Cm . do you think this is an issue ?

Regards

Please send a schematic and pictures. The power supply capacitor for the TC4422 is important. Lead length is important. It is hard for us to see these details.

A schematic is a must here.

The 555 is a very poor choice for power control. It just doesn't have an very user friendly point for feedback control.

Also, the decoupling for the driver needs to include some high frequency ceramic capacitors.

Hi
i wanted a control Ic that can be controlled from 0-5Vdc (pwm) . i will be happy to get better IC spec for my application .
can i get some advice on size of the decoupling capacitor ?

i will make draw as fast as i can to continue getting the project running .

Regards
Amit

The datasheet suggests a 4.7 Ufd and a 0.1 Ufd ceramic for decoupling.
Your FET needs a heatsink. Is it on one?
What voltage are you using to supply the driver.
No, the 1 ohm missing probably would not blow it, but if the leads to the gate are 20 cm that might.
What does it drive? A motor, a light?
Yep need that drawing.

What does it drive? A motor, a light?
Yep need that drawing.

Ron, I've been following this thread because I wanted to know too? He will want 0-60v at 120a in the end.

What Light or Lights, Motor needs 120a at 60v?

kv

Long wires from the driver to the MOSFETS can cause oscillations. That could be hard to see with out a good scope. When the FETs turn on/off there are amps flowing in the gate. Part placement is important.

Ron, I've been following this thread because I wanted to know too? He will want 0-60v at 120a in the end.

What Light or Lights, Motor needs 120a at 60v?

The only thing I've ever done in that range was a couple of E-Tek motors for an electric 3 wheeler. Blew a bunch of stuff up for a while. :p :rolleyes:

The only thing I've ever done in that range was a couple of E-Tek motors for an electric 3 wheeler. Blew a bunch of stuff up for a while. :p :rolleyes:

hahaha:)

That explains it.

kv

Hi
this is the basic circuit , the idea is saw tooth generator into comparator to get Pwm .
the Pwm work perfect . i control the freq using the Rc on the 555 .

**broken link removed**

or direct link :

https://i49.tinypic.com/pq7gh.jpg

i am designing an electronic load to test battery's , i wont lie and say that the idea to run Ev did not cross my mind :) . the load resistor is 10Kw 0.4Ohm (don't ask from were i got it )

regarding heat sinks . yes i am using large heat sink .
i have tested the signals at the gate while loading the fet over 20-30cm of wire. the signals were not clear PWM but Noisy ones.
what gate voltage do you recommend on the 1Ohm resistor .

Amit

Last edited:
Here are a few ideas:

1-3 ohms in the gate should be ok.
2- The wires from the source and drain to ground and the load must be big.
3- The distance from the 4422 output and it's ground to the FET must be short. If this is 20 cm move the driver ic up on the heatsink with the FET so the wires can be short.
4- Add a 4.7 Ufd electrolytic and a 0.1 Ufd ceramic cap from Vdd to ground right at the driver IC.
5- I think I would change the 10K pull up on the 393 to 1K - not to important but can't hurt.
6- I would also add some caps to the 5 volt regulator if you don't have them. See the datasheet.

What is the frequency of your PWM?

thank you for you good advice , i will implement them on my next test , and i will update on results .
what about 4422 Vcc Voltage what will be the best to open the fet ?

i am using 1.6Khz frequency of PWM, What are the recommendation ? (for resistive Load , inductive Load(motor)).

1.6 Khz is good. Not to fast. The 12 volts for the FET is good. If you want to use it for a motor a free wheel or clamp diode is needed.

Does the Mosfet require a drain resistor from the gate to Gnd?

How are the waveforms coming out of the 393? Its 10k pullup seems kinda large.

If you need to have long cables, consider putting the power supply and the pwm driver at the motor and run leads back to the power control pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back