Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Homeplug powerline

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldeneye

Hey all,

Does anybody know about homeplug powerlines? I have heard they are useful for sharing broadband connections, what are the advantages?:)

They do work (the newer ones anyway). The 200Mb ones are faster than WiFi and as reliable as a wired connection. They will often go several houses away (they can be secured).
**broken link removed**

This is right up there with the broadband over power line idea. Due to the size of the infrastructure associated with electrical distribution networks simply tacking on a high speed RF signal on top of it is a HORRIBLE mistake, as it can propagate over the airwaves easily due to wire lengths associated with home wiring, makes a great built in antenna, and raises the local RF floor, which is bad enough in moderately sized cities.

Uh, dude, you clearly haven't been following the industry. First, it's just a LAN approach, not a WAN. but more importantly, it does work. and the FCC has no problem with the technology.

philba said:
Uh, dude, you clearly haven't been following the industry. First, it's just a LAN approach, not a WAN. but more importantly, it does work. and the FCC has no problem with the technology.

Simple physics - sending RF round the mains wiring WILL radiate interference, presumably the FCC don't consider it important enough to worry about?, or they have been suitably bribed?.

When they were on line, I could hear a BPL "LAN" that was 50 miles away to the extent that it overpowered everything except the most powerful stations on the top half of the HF band. BPL reminds me of US industry in the 50s and early 60s in that they did what they did regardless of the impact on the environment and others. BPL is a poor approach, in my opinion, given that there are many other alternatives available at modest costs.

They work by sending the data when the mains crosses 0V. Power companies don't mind because there are far worse problems generated by consumer electronics (tripple n harmonics) to deal with.

The FCC doesn't currently regulate that kind of hardware very much because it's not in widespread use. If it ever becomes more than a 'novelty' you will hear a storm of complaints surfacing, and eventually the FCC "or local equiv" will have to step in due to the distance even a very low power transmision can cover.

Can you imagine what happens when networks start to overlap and you start getting cross modulation effects that completly bleed out any frequencies bellow the baseband signal? Which in the above mentioned product is 200mbits. It would completly obliterate communication in the low mhz range, not to mention upper harmonics. The airwaves are crowded enough!

Last edited:
I've been told that the signal can't travel from one property to another but I don't really believe it, perhaps they send the signal on the neutral conductor which is connected to earth at the electricity main so the signal gets shunted there.

Right so it only has the entire length of wire from your house to the electric plant to use as an antenna... Transformers do attenuate high frequency signals because they're for low frequency power so their cores are completly different. However even if it stopped in it's tracks cold at the distribution xformer outside of the house that's still a huge antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back