Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hot start welding

DAWJR

I didn't know how to or where to label my subject. Can I take a stun gun module and incorporate it into my stick welder as an arc start instead of scratch starting. It is a 110 volt hand held inverter welder and my module runs off of 5volts & unsure of it's limits at this time.My welder also has a power on button, the heat range selector and it also has a trigger pull on so it won't arc if accidentally struck unless you are holding the trigger. I was thinking I could have it start as though it were a Tig welder.

I didn't know how to or where to label my subject. Can I take a stun gun module and incorporate it into my stick welder as an arc start instead of scratch starting. It is a 110 volt hand held inverter welder and my module runs off of 5volts & unsure of it's limits at this time.My welder also has a power on button, the heat range selector and it also has a trigger pull on so it won't arc if accidentally struck unless you are holding the trigger. I was thinking I could have it start as though it were a Tig welder.
Hi D,
I doubt they have the amperage to start?
C

I remember seeing an article on youtube about adding non-contact start to a plasma cutter, by adding a high voltage system? That could be worth a search.

Hmmmm... The electrode potential would be in parallel to the 'stun module' megavolts... Would it pierce the enamel of the transformer windings ? Could one harm the other ?
Your arc welder has a trigger pull ? That is new to me, I need to investigate.

You can purchase a commercial high-frequency (HF) arc starter kit designed for welders instead.
That's what I would be looking at as to a RF Start, they work just fine.

Ron

Latest threads

Back