Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how axioms/postulates really work

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

When a certain subject is being studied, including a natural phenomena, certain fixed rules, characteristics are noticed as defining whatever is under discussion. These rules or characteristics are called axioms/postulates which are the foundation upon which the system rests. For example, one may observe that every dog hates cats (I'm just making it up). So, a postulate is established which very much defines one of the traits of a dog. If we see an animal which looks like a dog but likes to play with cats, then according to the postulate it couldn't be a dog. But if biological studies prove that it's really a dog, then the established postulate falls apart. Another postulate related to dog can also be established that every dog loves a bone. So, a set of postulates or axioms defines what a particular thing should be or how it should behave. These are reasonable assumptions which are made after careful observation of the thing under discussion.

I have read somewhere that in the past there used to be a distinction between the word 'postulate' and 'axiom' but now they stand for the same.

In Euclidean geometry there are certain postulates. Euclidean geometry can be described as highly idealistic version of some of the things in real word (I have been told when it comes to real world hyperbolic geometry maps the reality better). Then, circle is an object of Euclidean geometry. It can be said that the circle in itself has a set of axioms such as the sum of angle subtended by the diameter. The same can be said of a triangle, which is also an object in Euclidean geometry, that if its meets certain axioms such as internal angles sum is 180 degree etc. then it's a triangle. But none of the axioms related to a circle or triangle can contradict the axioms of the system (i.e. Euclidean geometry) of which they are members.

Sometimes postulates seem self-evident and very reasonable assumptions which holds true as far as one can confirm. But sometimes those postulates aren't that much clear. For example, one of the postulates/axioms of theory of the relativity is that lights travels at the same speed no matter what. One might wonder that why Einstein chose this postulate. Was he able to measure the speed of light under different conditions? I don't think so. I believe some of the equations etc. he was working with made him realize that the speed of the light had to constant otherwise nothing works. So, in this case the postulate isn't that much self-evident from observable point of view but math equations tells us so (and now even the experiments).

Further it should be noted that axioms/postulates themselves are just a set of rules. They do not describe how the system works, how it could relate to the natural phenomena, why we study the system etc. You can have a set of rule of the game of chess but those rules does' really tell what chess is. They only tell you how are expected to play. Likewise, you can have a set of axioms for vector spaces (in layman terms, vectors are members of the system called vector spaces). Those axioms of vector spaces say nothing why we study vectors, how those vectors relate to the physical world. They are just rules which have been formulated after close observation of the system. So, as a result they don't need any proofs.

Do I make some sense? Please let me know. Thanks

Links which might be useful:
**broken link removed**
http://www.sfu.ca/~swartz/euclid.htm

Last edited:
You may have missed your calling. Look into the study of philosophy. Mathmatics, logic, history, aesthetics.... pretty much everything can have a philosophy, and philosophy struggled to structuralize this in a standardized language. Science electronics and physics theory are branches of Philosophy. Mathmtics/logic these are things we perceive as being easily measurable, but if you study philosophy further you will find that things are very different when we get down into the basic understanding of the human psyche, which is after all from what we derive our entire understanding.

Hi

As you guys can easily judge that I'm an English learner, I wasn't able to understand what have been said by you above, particularly in Sceadwian's post. Could you please elaborate a bit? Thanks.

PHG1995 re-read your own post about axioms/postulates. Throw my text through a translator such as Google translate. I will elaborate if you misunderstand the translation.

PHG1995 re-read your own post about axioms/postulates. Throw my text through a translator such as Google translate. I will elaborate if you misunderstand the translation.

Hi

I don't understand why you would use sarcasm (or, whatever it is). I simply couldn't understand what you said and was requesting you to clarify it a little. I was able to understand literal meaning of your post except of the first line "you may missed your calling". But I couldn't understand how it relates or connects to my original post. Did I ask for too much? It is your prerogative to reply or not, and I do respect that. But by using sarcasm in your response to my request you gave me the impression you don't care if what you say is understood or not. It's okay.

Regards
PG

Hi
I was able to understand literal meaning of your post except of the first line "you may missed your calling".

"It was a calling from God, for me to become a priest/teacher/etc."

Sceadwian meant that maybe you should study more philosophy. And saying that philosophy could be your "calling" is a compliment :) Your questions are more philosophical than mathematical.

Last edited:
There was no sarcasm intended by me at all. I simply meant that it might better help you to understand what I perceived as your intent by not directly interpreting my words but using a translation service and comparing it to your current understanding of the English language as it will help you better phrase questions in the future.

What misterT said by my intent being that the question you ask are more philosophically based as opposed to scientific is exactly as I intended and definitely intended as a compliment, your questions are difficult to answer which means they're very good questions.

In all honesty the scope of your question is a bit beyond the time I have to dedicate to fully responding to it, although I think you're asking good questions.

One possible source for clarification might be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

There was no sarcasm intended by me at all. I simply meant that it might better help you to understand what I perceived as your intent by not directly interpreting my words but using a translation service and comparing it to your current understanding of the English language as it will help you better phrase questions in the future.

What misterT said by my intent being that the question you ask are more philosophically based as opposed to scientific is exactly as I intended and definitely intended as a compliment, your questions are difficult to answer which means they're very good questions.

In all honesty the scope of your question is a bit beyond the time I have to dedicate to fully responding to it, although I think you're asking good questions.

One possible source for clarification might be.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

My sincerest apologies. I had always thought that Google only translated non-English text into English. So, when you told me to throw the content of your post through Google translator I thought you were being little sarcastic because the translator wouldn't translate English text into simpler English for a learner. Sorry.

Thank you for saying that my questions are good ones. We all have our good and silly moments. In my case, they are mostly silly. But I believe you haven't come across my threads where you can see my silliness in all its glory! :)

MrT, thanks for your input.

Best wishes
PG

For future self exploration of language PG1995 and the use of Google translate I have a suggestion. Before you post something in English, compare the English post with the words you would use in your native tongue and feed that through Google translate, so that you have to your version of English and it's version of english for the same approximate thought concepts in your native language. It'll expose you to a world of new words and differences in grammar and syntax. English is not a particularly easy language to learn from what I hear, but it's the only one I speak =)

There is nothing wrong with being silly in my mind!

Thank you for the suggestion, Sceadwian.

It's a very helpful tool for persons like me who are also English learners. I just told my cousin about the Google translate who was working on a short essay.

Best wishes
PG

Just make sure after you use Google translate that you swap the languages and edit the original, especially if it's for a foreign language course. Most teachers can spot straight translated text and will fail you instantly for it.

The reason for this is simple. If you speak English and translate that to say Spanish using Google translate it's going to be very clinical and literal about it's translation, no thought is put into the meaning of the words. If you take the Spanish output, replace it as the input and ask for English out so that you have English to Spanish back to English, then a myriad number of sins of syntax and context will show themselves.

It will allow you to understand the quirks of particular word usage or sentence structures (at least as far as the translator sees them) aside from language culture has a heavy influence word syntax and no translation software can deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back