Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can I delay an output signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjohnc

Hi, I'm new at this, so please bear with me. I am trying to rig up a timer that is triggered by a spdt switch. I am literally using a stopwatch, but the same button both starts and stops the stopwatch. It seems like if I was able to delay the signal on the NC side of the switch by about .5 seconds, this would work as needed because the switch is instantaneous and the stopwatch doesn't recognize that the circuit was broken, but will with a brief delay. But I can't find a delay relay that will run off only a few volts and are too pricey for what I'm doing here. right now I am using 2 switches that are physically offset to simulate this delay and it works, but it is subject to the speed at which the switches are pressed and is only about 90% reliable. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to briefly delay the output voltage of the NC side of the switch with some other type of electronic component? i would think that a resistor and capacitor could do this, but i really have no clue. thanks.

Last edited:
I'm unclear as to precisely what this NC side signal is, whether it is + going or - going, and how the stopwatch and 2 switches figure in all this, but I suggest you check out the Timing Circuits section of this site. A 555 timer circuit will probably meet your needs.

LM555 IC might be a place to start. Dozens of books were written about this simple but versatile device. You'll get hundreds of hits on the web too.

If you're up to it, a small microcontroller could this and tons more. Look at PIC, Picaxe, Atmel and a bunch others I can't remember.

You could always send your signal to my wife. She reliably works at a 60:1 ratio, "I'll only be just a minute" is always one hour:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back