Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I make a small RF tracking device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnB1

please help me with my thesis. i need to make a tracking device and they say that RF is better to user for this project, but the problem is i dont have any idea to make a RF . help me please.:(

for the receiver, it's a good idea to use some type of direction finding anntena. a RADIO-GONIOMETER or BELLINI-TOSI direction finding antenna system is one method that can be built in a compact form. more info about such antenna systems can be found here: **broken link removed**

the advantage to this is that 4 quarter wave vertical antennas mounted on a metal surface, or two crossed loops of wire, can take the place of a rotating antenna. the only moving part is the sense coil in the termination box. as you will see, you need to ignore the "james bond" image of a little GPS-like receiver with a single whip antenna and a map display. while it's possible to do something like that with an APRS transponder, that's a bit more complicated than a simple tracking transmitter (an APRS transponder contains a GPS receiver and a radio modem that sends GPS data to a base station). also keep in mind that a small battery powered device with a small antenna will not have much range, and a larger device with a proper quarter wave antenna will give better results

Last edited:
Rfid..............................

The guys from my link say

"Initially, we wanted to incorporate commercially available RFID tags for our beacons. For the purpose of increased distance up to several hundred feet, these tags would be active RFID tags. Active RFID tags are different from conventional passive RFID tags because they actually contain a built-in power source to help amplify their signal across long distances. This would have the advantage in that we would not have to develop the RF tags. Commercially available tags are also extremely small to begin with and would fir our initial idea of attachable tags on personal items better.

Unfortunately, this was not implemented because we realized the difficulty in decoding and accessing these tags. The tags themselves are not encoded to a standard that is readily accessible and attempts in doing so may turn out to be time consuming and not worth the effort. Secondly, active RFID tags are extremely expensive and can cost up to $20 per tag. When taking our purposes into consideration – tracking down RF beacons – we decided that a simple RF transmitter using the Radiotronix RCT-433 module would be a better fit for our project. These transmitters also could not be as small as the TFID tags. In the end, we had to sacrifice having readily available and miniature RFID tags for ease of development and lower costs."

I don't know how much of this applies for the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back