How can i rotate stepper motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyamal

I want to rotate stepper motor using jonson counter 4017 IC. I also using bipolar stepper motor. I connected pin 3 2 4 7 (sequence) of 4017ic with stepper motor. But my motor was not rotate.

I can't understand why motor is not rotate. Help me please

You have not mentioned the current requirements for the stepper motor? A link to the stepper motor data sheet would be nice. I doubt the 4017 has the required current to drive the stepper motor, have you read the 4017 specifications?

Read this link which shows a 4017 driving transistors which in turn drive the stepper motor.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Shyamal,

4017 alone does not give sufficent current for any stepper motor,

4017 is not use for bipolar stepper motors , but for unipolar motors,,

pin 3-2-4-7 is ok but also need to connect 10 to 15 then, to complate one turn,,

You shold give clock signal from pin 14,Cp0,

Thats all i know some basic principals,,

I assume bipolar stepper has 4 wires,, unipalar ones are at least 5 or 6 wires,,

My motor have 4 pin. But in your circuit diagram stepper motor have 5 pin. What can i do now?

The unipolar stepper motor which in the circuit diagram , needs 4 fast recovery diode i think to absorb the reverse electromotor force induced by motor,,

so four of the collectors of four of the transistors need connect to +vcc with diodes,

I'm using 1Hz clock pulse using 555 timer and 4017 counter is used to drive ic L293D. 4017 counter works correctly but motor driver ic L293D does not show any voltage (also 0.85 Volt) to drive stepper motor.

I used this configuration. I can't find where is the problem in my circuit diagram. Please help me...... View attachment 63435

Don't think a 4017 will drive a bipolar stepper motor, only a unipolar. You need a L297 plus your 555 circuit and l293. 1Hz clock will not turn the motor very fast, so use a piece of tape on the shaft as a flag to see it move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…