How can I split a phono (record player) output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyAyXGhF

Hey all,
I'm working on a project where I need to tap into the audio output of a turntable. I'd like my device to go between the turntable and the preamp/amplifier, with the audio going to my project (a VU meter) and the audio also continuing to the preamp/amplifier - ideally completely untouched/modified.

Ideally, I'd like to use a single 9V supply if that helps.

Mike

What is your "device"? Unless you're trying to do some kind of fancy "purity" measurements on the turntable, discs or cartridge where you need the untouched signal, typically you'd tap into the line-level output of a preamplifier. You might even be able to get away with just using a Y-connector cable, depending on what kind of input impedance your "device" has. You could try it; wouldn't hurt anything. (Unless your "device" only works on a phono-cartridge input.)

Mmmm:

The purpose of the RIAA preamp is to add equalization. e.g. It amplifies differently depending on frequencies. This compensates for media idosyncraces. Moving magnet, moving coil and ceramic are types of cartridges. They each require a different pre-amp. Although I said RIAA, going back in time like 79 RPM records, there are others.

Usually you place other devices in the tape loop. The in put to the tape loop is usually a good spot. You usually have pre/post which usually means before and after tone controls.

You need to connect AFTER the preamplifier, there's no point in connecting directly to the turntable.

Any halfway decent amplifier should have a record or preamp output you can simply plug-in to.

Let's define some terms so we all agree on what we're discussing, shall we?
  • Turntable: A revolving platter and an arm holding a phono cartridge. Has no preamp. Outputs low-level (i.e., millivolts) output that needs equalization (RIAA).
  • Preamp: An amplifier that takes a low-level phono cartridge signal as input, amplifies it and applies RIAA equalization (in the special case of a phono preamp), outputs a line-level signal.
  • Line-level output: A signal at an intermediate level (~250mV-1V) that is suitable for the "line" inputs of most audio gear (receivers, mixers, amplifiers, boom boxes, etc.).

So does your "turntable" contain a preamp (meaning it plugs into a line-level input)? or is it meant to go into the "phono" (low-level) input?

Hysterical note: In the olden days, a "turntable" was just what I defined above. Nowadays, with these kidz who think a "record" is an optical disc, turntables sometimes contain preamps and are meant to plug into the line-level input of a DJ's mixer or some such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…