How could I pump up a cheap Razor electric scooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefurious

Those razor scooters are down to under $100 at walmart and I bet I could find a used one on ebay for a good bit less. Any idea how I could go about buffing them up? Obviously more battery power( li/ion I guess), and a bigger, or more powerful motor. But what about the device that measures power flow and such? How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

What are the specs? How many volts? What's the battery capacity? Do you have room to put a bigger motor on it? A larger battery? AND bigger brakes? Have you searched the almighty google to see if anyone else has tried?

The easiest and cheapest is to find a really steep hill.

Actually I'll need a bit bigger platform. But I have plenty of room for multiple batteries, a 1000W engine, big-ass breaks, and either a 36 or more like 48v system. What I'd really like to do is take one of those old power wheelchairs that old people have and modify the hell outta that. Too bad they cost alot even used!

Bump, I want to soup up a scooter to go dangerously fast

Watch out that you don't overdo it !

**broken link removed**

Look at his scooter at the bottom of the page.
It's a lot bigger than a razor but I wouldn't want to give him a new idea.

Last edited:
Bump, I want to soup up a scooter to go dangerously fast
Forget that silly toy. Soup up your body armor and go find a very tall hill and jump on the thing. Nice knowing ya!

A 1000 watt motor?? Yeah right. Those chassis' aren't designed to handle much beyond 300-400watt motors which still propell that around 12-15mph. They are unstable at high speeds due to tiny wheels and no pneumatic tires to cushion the bumps. All that extra weight of a larger motor and battery will negate the extra cost and performance. Go find a 2-cycle weed whacker motor and rig that up instead. Now you'll have speed, stink, messy pre-mix fuel, and noise to bless your neighbors with. They will bless you in return by phoning the police.

A few years ago I souped up a scooter for an old guy I knew, the change was from 24 to 48 volts and a much more powerfull speed controller. With the extra batteries down low it was very stable but the brakes weren't good enough to stop the extra weight in a real hurry. What happened isn't hard to guess, he was speeding down the road a car didnt see him pulled out of the corner and his face made a new dent in the side of the car. The scooter was a ride off and he didn't need it anymore as he's now in a wheelchair fulltime.

You may young with full of bright idea's on hotting up a small scooter but sit down and just think...... do you want to grow old!!!!!!!

Let my temper get the better of me and told him off a bit. I've ALREADY modified a scooter before to top out close to 40mph, 48V system. Had two drive wheels, the front and rear wheels were both motors... it was great. Too many electical probs though so I scrapped the idea and am working on something new and possibly even faster. I've never hurt myself even when I flipped 2 motorcycles, I know how to tuck and roll and I always wear protective gear! I just wanted some help and mostly suggestions on what size motor would be the most powerful I could legitimately mount on the frame( 48v 1000W maybe? less?) and what size battery pack I'd need? I'd use lithium/ion batteries to save weight. Just want to see how fast I can go on batteries! Anyone have any ideas on where I should start? Find an very large, old, solid scooter frame and go from there?

First, I assume you want to get your hands dirty and you don’t want to spend any more than necessary. Therefore, why not just rewind the motor? The fewer turns, the faster it will go. The larger the wire, the more torque it will have.

I would try enameled copper wire 3 AWG smaller (in number, that will give you wire twice the original size) and wind as many turns that will fit on the original armature. It is going to be a power hog, but should be able to over stress the power train.

Enjoy!

Thanks that sounds like a good idea to try. You were slightly wrong on one account though, I'm not averse to spending money when it's necessary, like buying li/ion batteries to save weight and increase speed Say if I just wanted to outright BUY the fastest motor I could get, what would it be? Then I'll see if I can approximate it or improve on it with tinkering!

I've never hurt myself even when I flipped 2 motorcycles, I know how to tuck and roll and I always wear protective gear!
Ha! Famous last words!! I used to be bullet-proof in my younger years also, surviving some amazing stunts. All that tuck and roll, body armor and such won't mean anything when it's your turn someday. I've logged tens of thousands of miles riding and racing bicycles without no accidents... even in close quarters criterium races. Then one summer day I'm hanging up my bike in my garage and it falls off the hook, knocking me off the ladder onto the concrete floor causing torn ligaments and cartilage to my knee = surgery! The knee hasn't been the same since and I cannot run nowhere near like I used to. That tuck and roll crap didn't work for me at that moment!

Well at least you can say you had a good run! Hey I've already survived cancer at 28, I think anything else after this is just bonus anyway, so I'd like to enjoy it! Any ideas where I could find a good, solid scooter to use as a platform for my ultimate death-speed machine? And what would be the best motor for the job, something like a 48v, 1000W? I'll look at the specs on one then see if I can rewrap another motor to equal or better it! Whooo, speed is fun!

Dude, you conquered a disease many folks succumb to. Why risk your health or life any further.... sit back and enjoy the easy and smooth things in life. Soup up a lawn tractor instead.

Why do you persist in trying to dissuade me from my passions? It's my passion for living life that KEPT me fighting and has gotten me through a rare form of cancer that kills over 90% of it's victims. And you want to take that away from me? So I can sit on a couch and watch the game and get fat and die of a heart attack? No thank you sir, I prefer my way. I wish you would simply offer unconditional advice... I fully understand you do not like my idea and would not undertake it yourself, however it would appear you have more knowledge than I in this area, hence I am forced to defer to you for the moment. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then please simply don't post, or maybe point me towards someone who can and WILL help. Thanks for caring about my health in a roundabout way though

P.S. Besides, I'm in the Army... risking my life is part of what I do anyway! They've trained me well how to risk it properly and not get hurt doing it. Only thing that's really deadly to me at this point are 7.62's! Or IED's!

Last edited:
Thank you for supporting my very point! You are an enlisted member of the armed forces and for that I salute you and thank you, SERIOUSLY.

However, that also means that my taxes pay your wages and the equipment you are issued (I'm assuming that you are in the American armed forces --- you don't have your location listed). I would feel comforted knowing my monetary investment isn't operating in a self-destruct mode. Uncle Sam looks at it that way too... read your enlistment contract closely! The US needs you, your family needs you, as do your fellow soldiers..... carry on brave soldier!

Last edited:
A applaud you for your desire to make the scooter faster and more powerful.
I think you need to realize that a DC motor is not the way to go, as present technology isn't there. Take a moment a visulize a gallon of gasoline and a normal car battery. The are about the same physical size. A gallon of gasoline will take an average car about 20 miles down the highway. How far would the car battery take the car if it was hooked you to 12V motor? I would venture to say a short distance measured in feet. Another way of looking at it is this 746 watts of electrical power equals a horsepower. A car battery may have 1000 wats of power in it. True it is able to start an engine, but it is only supplying a huge amout of power for a very short time.

I once built a special stand for my bicycle to the rear wheel would turn a normal automobile generator. I was in pretty good physical condition and I could not pedal the bicycle in order to light a 100 watt 12V bulb.
Good evening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…