How do I charge a capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeEs&KsM897

I have a 300V 60 uF capacitor but if I put DC voltage to it no charge would
store. So then I got a differant capacitor and did the same thing and the same
hapend. And I also checked them with my multimeter and they are both good.
So what am I doing wrong? And can I use AC curent to charge a capcitor?

try to charge it using 230V AC with a proper rectifire diode in (+) lead , but BE CAREFULL!!!

ERM personaly i wouldnt do it! from the way the OP's post is written it sounds like zero knowledge (no offence BringMeEs&KsM897). maybe someone with knowledge will come along and ask you some relevant questions to find out what you want to do, yes i know you want to charge a cap but why, what is it for. then maybe they can walk you through a safe route as messing with a fully charged 300v cap isnt safe without knowing what your doing! not being negative at all just being careful

I have a 300V 60 uF capacitor but if I put DC voltage to it no charge would
store.
What voltage did you use?
So then I got a differant capacitor and did the same thing and the same
hapend.
What values are the differant cap?
What did you do to test for a charge?
And I also checked them with my multimeter and they are both good.
multimeters are not the best to test caps.
Not if it is an electrolytic.
Andy

a capacitor can be charged by merely connecting its leads to a DC source, and for 60uF without a limiting resistor, it takes uS or less to charge. to witness the discharging phase as a proof that its charged, simply short out the two leads togather, you should see a faint spark, this is due to the sharp jump of voltage at the first instant or shortage and it happens because by shortening you bypass the insulation material and the + plate gets compensated for lack of electronics from the (-) until it reaches equivelance which is the complete discharging.

I do have knowledge its just I only do small electronic circuits not large ones.

i wasnt having a go or being rude sometimes its just best to assume the poster dosnt have much knowledge untill such times they declare different have fun with the caps! great to watch on a scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…