Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I communicate with SPI/SCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouadalnoor

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to create a very simple MP3 player using the VS1011 MP3 Decoder and the PIC16LF877 Microcontroller as well as an SD card adaptor.

When using the PIC as a master and the VS1011 as a slave I need to use "SCI" in order to set up various registers so that the VS1011 is in the correct mode, has the correct volume etc. I also need to send the music data through the "SPI" interface.

My question is, how do I tell the VS1011 to change interface so that it knows I am using SCI or SDI?

By looking at the data sheet (page 1) we see the pins used to communicate:

DREQ (output)
SO (Output)
SI (input)
SCLK (input)
XCS (input)
XDCS (input)

I think I understand what all pins do other than the XDCS pin. Is this the pin that I have to set high in order to communicate using SDI? (in New Mode) as shown on page 16? (assuming that SM_SDISHARE = 0)

The VS1011 data sheet is found here: https://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1011.html

Last edited:
I understand that the XDCS pin should be tied to Vdd as it is not required in your application from what I can tell. The XCS pin is what is used by you to tell the part when you are sending SCI (Control) commands or SDI (Data).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back