Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do i get 24 vdc pulses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sederberg

Hi All,

I am working on a project that involves small stepper motors right now, and the one that i want to use requires 24V pulses. I am planning on using a single 5V supply and controlling the the stepper with a micocontroller that would run off the 5V. I am having trouble finding an easy way of converting the 5V pulses from my micorcontroller up to 24V pulses. I was thinking of using a level translator, but I am having trouble finding any that can supply 24V. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make these? My other thought would be to use a voltage reference and then to switch it on and off using a mosfet controlled by the mcu. Does anyone have any input on whether this is a good idea? my final problem is that it looks like the stepper motor may require as much as 0.6A per phase and I am unsure whether there are any level translators or voltage references that could source this much current. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any products that might fit my needs...or have any better ideas?

Thanks.

You almost have to have a separate 24v supply that you can control with the logic. A converter from 5v to 24v will require about 3a of the 5v supply and probably be too "soft" anyway to drive a stepper. Use a 24v supply and the MOSFET driven by the pulse control.

Dean

Google for "stepper motor driver"
You'll need a 24Vdc supply for your stepper motor which would be way easier than trying to make a 5V to 24V converter.

The 5V PS it's a must?
If not just use the pulses from the uC to control a logic MOS-FET having a DS voltage of 24V. The DC/DC converters have big problems folowing very high percentual variations in the imput voltage. So u might want to consider a 24V supply with a 7805 for powering the the uC. and a low Rds(on) logic MOS-FET.
It's a simple&cheap solution.

The power for the steppers doesn't even need to be regulated - you could build your own supply with a 24V transformer, bridge rectifier and a largish cap (1000 uF, 50V). Even a 20-24V DC wall wart that can deliver 1000mA will do just fine.

You can use an L293D to drive a small stepper. there are lots of designs out there. the control input to the L293D is 5V logic, compatible with your micro. If you can't find, ask...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back