how do i get a sinewave through serial db9 to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

teknyc78

what hardware do i need, I will be sending a baby crying sound to the pc and want it to display on the Java guis, please help on what hardware i need, thanks.

You will need to convert the audio data to digital first then sent this data using serial communication protocol to the computer via serial port and then create a software which can utilize this data and do whatever you want with the data
Search google and you will find many schematics and softwares which u will be requiring to do in the project

Microphone -> Aliasing filter (4 kHz) -> ADC -> uC -> MAX232 -> RS232
One point to note is that the human voice is usually sampled at at least 8kHz. A baby's voice may be more hellish than a normal human. So the serial speed may not be fast enough, and some buffering may have to be done.

yeah, it seems like using the serial port for sound input is ridiculous when just a few inches away on the back of nearly any computer, there's a dedicated audio input port :lol:

evandude said:
yeah, it seems like using the serial port for sound input is ridiculous when just a few inches away on the back of nearly any computer, there's a dedicated audio input port :lol:
Yes, Exactly. Sometimes people try to "invent" something new but they always choose the hard way and don't search if it was designed before.

Hey, I can't say too much. I did once find myself wanting to bring my oscilloscope for a ride in the car, hooked up to a microphone, so I could look at the FFT of the noise in the car, as a means of identifying the main frequency content of the "road noise", so that I could design some filters to remove it from the microphone audio, so that the speech recognition software on my carPC would work better when the car was moving...

And then I slapped my forehead when someone pointed out that the soundcard in my carPC is perfectly capable of monitoring audio from a microphone, and there's plenty of software out there to act as a spectrum analyzer... not to mention, it would give me better results anyway, because it would be using the exact same input method that the speech recognition software would :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…