how do u build a led that pulse to music of a personal cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooby

my full question(how do u build a led that pulse to music of a personal cd player or a tape player???? is it posible????? and can it run on a 9v battery?
and if it can, can u tell me the parts i need and can u give me a diagram of what it should look like when it is done?
just starting in to the world of electronic's and i under stand the basic's and sum of the hard stuff so can someone anser me??????? :?: :?

Re: how do u build a led that pulse to music of a personal c

nooby said:
i under stand the basic's and sum of the hard stuff
I wish I could understand the sum of all of the hard stuff, and I'm experienced in electronics. I understand only some of the hard stuff.

Making a circuit to flash an LED in time with the music isn't easy for a nooby. It needs a low frequency audio filter, a rectifying circuit and an LED driver. Maybe you could plan it so the LED driver also rectifies the low frequency audio from the filter stage. Then you need to design a printed circuit board or Veroboard layout for it.
Perhaps a kit is best for a nooby.

hey is u can can u please at least make a simple or conplex don't care circuit board layout for what i am trying to make?! and if some of the part's are very complex if u can make a ledgend showing what it is, anyway thank's for replying to my question, i will make it if u can make the circuit board layout for my project and i will tell u if it work's, so thank's and hope u or someone help's me with my question. :!:

Hi Nooby,
How is your circuit going to pick-up the signal? If it is a microphone, then it needs a preamp in addition to he other stuff. If it is from the wires that connect to a speaker, then it is much easier.

Hi nooby, you do realize that you're asking a lot of audioguru to make a circuit board layout. Not only would he have to design the circuitboard, but he'd have to first design the circuit, which isn't something you just pull out of your hat.

That said, I think there are some circuits on this board that do what you want. Use the search function and type in 'LED pulse to music' . You may have to fiddle around with the wording but try it. Make sure you have the 'search for all terms' option selected.

If it's connected to the speaker output of a stereo, just the LED, a rectifier diode and current-limiting resistor is probably all that is required. Simple.
Instead of the rectifier, two LEDs could be connected back-to-back in reverse parallel. :lol:

look for "stereo VU meter" at talkingelectronics.com interactive website.

That will give you a start.

a i don't want a stereo VU meter i just want ear phone in put in to my cd or radio that will be connected to a circuit board that will make the led's pulse to the music of the song that will have a input for ear phones

ok that's all im asking, i just want to no if some one can tell me if it's posible if it is can thay tell me what part's i need and have a circuit board drawn so i will no how to build it, that's it. :!:

i think i understand what u mean but what does a rectifier diode and current-limiting resistor look like :?: :?: :?: :?

i can draw and make that but i just need to no what it look's like.

i have a pic of what a rectifier diode look's like but i couldn't find out what a current-limiting resistor look's like.
rectifier diode :arrow:
**broken link removed**

nooby said:
i think i understand what u mean but what does a rectifier diode and current-limiting resistor look like :?: :?: :?: :?

i can draw and make that but i just need to no what it look's like.

Don't get surprised!
A rectifiying diode looks just like... a diode ... Same thing for the current limiting resistor...
It's just their place and connections in the circuit that gives them their particular behavior...

Rectifier Diode: connected in parallel with two nodes, it 'rectifies' = limits the voltage of the two nodes to its drop voltage. That is if u connect a 1.7V diode, no more than 1.7V of voltage will be across the two nodes.

Current-Limiting resistor: If u wanna limit the current entering a node, just place a resistor in series with that node, it will limit the current, based on the voltage applied to the node...

I hope this helps ya :wink: :!:

................. :shock:

what i still get u mean :cry:

some one talk normal lol
:idea:
im going to make a circuit board pic 4 u , u tell me if it's right :!:

hey audioguru can u tell me how it goes :?: :?:

"example: the +, conected to the LED, conected to the swich, conected to the -"

ok :wink:

that's what i need u to do if u can :!:

A stereo VU meter is 50% of the solution. Hook it up to an amplifier output, then hook the amplifier input to your CD player earphone jack. Once everything is correct, you will see an LED go with the music.

Hi Nooby,
This circuit might work.

EDIT: Current-limiting resistor values increased to reduce max LED current. Value of rectifier filter cap increased so that LED indicates for about 50ms.

Attachments

• led_music_pulses.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,252
putting this in a car

i have a question if u wanted to put some leds in your car around your subs all u would have to do is put hook them up to your speaker wires and put a resistor in seriers with them right? would that make them light up when your subs hit?

Hi Guber,
The absolute max reverse voltage rating of LEDs is only 5V and your car amp puts out a lot more. So it is best to have the audio from the speaker wires rectfied by a rectifier bridge feeding each LED or string of LEDs in series with a current-limiting resistor.
If you have a high-power amp, it is best to have many LEDs in series, then you won't need a current-limiting resistor for each LED but just a low-power current-limiting resistor for each series string of LEDs.
Of course the power for the LEDs comes from the amp's output so don't overload the amp with its speaker plus too many LEDs.

For Nooby and others who want to fool around with an LED (or few LEDs) to pulse to the music, I sketched a Veroboard (stripboard) layout of my circuit previously posted. Also it is easy to increase the gain of the LM386 amp and add a biased electret microphone to its input.

Attachments

• led_music_pulses-layout.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 719
Oh yeah,
Hey Zach, I just pulled the circuit and its layout "out of my hat"! He, he. :lol: :lol:

thanx for this circut but i have another question do u just put this in paralle with your speakers hooking the positive side up to the Vin side and the negitive to the other

nooby said:
do u just put this in paralle with your speakers hooking the positive side up to the Vin side and the negitive to the other?
My circuit plugs into the earphones jack like you wanted. The output level from an earphones jack is too small to drive an LED directly, therefore my circuit uses an amplifier and its own battery. You can connect my circuit to both stereo channels with a 1k resistor from each channel at the earphones plug to its input pot. :lol:

nooby said:
i just want ear-phone plug-in put in to my cd or radio that will be connected to a circuit board that will make the led's pulse to the music of the song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…