Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do we store those chemical solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuenkit

I plan to buy some chemical solutions ( Hydro cloride etc.) to make PCB. The problem is, how do we store these chemical solutions?

If I put them in my house, will these chemical hazards our health? or it is flamable?

yuenkit said:
I plan to buy some chemical solutions ( Hydro cloride etc.) to make PCB. The problem is, how do we store these chemical solutions?

If I put them in my house, will these chemical hazards our health? or it is flamable?

With each chemical you get, you should get something called an MSDS (Material safety datasheet?) Anyways, the information you seek will be shown in this document.

I am renting a room outside. So i want to know the general way of storing these solutions.

the MSDS u mentioned can be obtained after i buy that solutions. I just want to know ahead b4 i buy it so that i can buy some proper storing device to store these stuff.

Thanks.

yuenkit said:
I am renting a room outside. So i want to know the general way of storing these solutions.

the MSDS u mentioned can be obtained after i buy that solutions. I just want to know ahead b4 i buy it so that i can buy some proper storing device to store these stuff.

Thanks.

No one can tell you the proper storage of a chemical if they do not know what chemical it is! Hydrochloric acid is not used in any PCB process I know. Ferric chloride is the most common one and it is not especially dangerous as long as it is handled with basic care.

Well, if there are any "general" rules, I would say get a big plastic tub to put the containers in, so if they leak then you have a "secondary containment". Polyethylene/polypropylene tubs have good chemical resistance against almost everything. The tub need not have a lid.

Do not store acids and bases in the same tub. If they get in contact, they react violently with a lot of heat. Don't put them where kids can get at them. Don't store them where an axe could fall on them and puncture the container. Don't put them where they can fall over.

For what it's worth, cupric chloride is/was used as an etchant and hydrochloric acid is used to refresh the solution. There's a bit more to it. A good friend of mine prefers this process for his hobby level work.

If you surf enough you'll find MSDS sheets. A note of caution - the MSDS sheets may not contain enough information to protect you from the hazards that could result from your process. Even simple cleaners used in the home, that are safe on their own, can be hazardous if mixed.

My recommendation would be to follow a process and purchase the materials, solutions, etc from a supplier - that includes instructions on the safe handling, the process, etc.

Another question: What should we do with the chemical solution after we use it? I afraid it will undermine the water pipe.

Disposal can be a big problem. You might see if the distributor might have some kind of chemical recovery or disposal service - or at least some advice on how to handle the waste. I sounds like you are thinking thru the process - my compliments to you for your careful planning.

It would seem that in order to select a process you'll need to know what you want to do and how much of it you plan on doing. It's pretty clear that you have many choices. Have you considered having a properly equipped shop fabricate what you need? That might relieve you of considerable burden.

If disposal is an issue take a close look at the cupric chloride etching process. Apparently it's more complex than ferric chloride but the advantage is supposed to be minimal waste.

Some colleges and universities might be willing to dispose of these chemicals for you in limited amounts. You'll need to know the precise volume and concentration of what you're giving them before hand, plus any impurities that might present. Otherwise they won't touch it. This has been the only way I've been able to get rid of my Ferric Chloride. I'm sure almost every city government also runs some kind of chemical waste facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back