How do you connect to ground??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry8260

When you have a schematic diagram and it indicates that something goes to ground, what do you do with that something? How do you connect something to "ground"? I've seen sometimes where the ground is just on the circuit itself or something, but I don't know what to do with the ground with this Dreamcast VGA mod:

**broken link removed**

Ground is Usually the Negative side of the battery unless other wise Stated (negative have 0V in the case of a battery)

See on the "dreamcast" side? Theres a pin called Ground. Everything that uses the ground symbol connects there. BTW, The ground symbol is also another way of showing a common connection.

Lol, this same old nube question again.

Ground is just a referance point on a circuit, it doesn't have to be physically connected to earth.

I'm not meaning to sound rude but if you have to ask a question like this, then you shouldn't be working on cirsuits as complicated as this. You should read up on the basics like how to interpret schematic and Ohm's law before you attempt something like this.

...And you shouldn't be using words as complicated as circuits... Just kidding, Hero999!

Connect your ground(s) to the ground symbol location (pin 1).

Do not go diggin a hole in the yard.

Call me a newb but what is the purpose of a diode with its anode connected to ground? (see pins 13&14 of the vga connector in the schematic above)

Why ground something if you dont want current flowing to ground?

Granted this poster's question was very basic, I still don't think its fair to say "you shouldnt be doing this"... I guess I'm just a 'learn as you go' type.

buurin said:
Call me a newb but what is the purpose of a diode with its anode connected to ground? (see pins 13&14 of the vga connector in the schematic above)

Why ground something if you dont want current flowing to ground?

You're confusing yourself with 'ground', it's almost certainly not ground, just a 0V reference point, sometimes also refered to as chassis.

The diodes are to prevent the pins going negative with respect to 0V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…