How does this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed you asked? - it's just a con as always - presumably a moving magnetic field beneath the bench?.

Hi Nigel

I dunno. I reckon there is more to it than that. I must of watched that clip 100 times today to try and catch the con. I failed.

Regards,
tvtech

Thanks Joe

It's not a motor though. Still lost.

I have a feeling I might end up looking really thick here
And even if I do, it does not matter.

As long as I and others learn and understand...it's worth it

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Sure it's a motor, a linear motor. The magnets stuck to the poles of the battery, make contact with the bare copper wire 'coil' making it an electromagnet between the two poles. This (electro mag) is repelled on one end and attracted on the other by the permanent magnets, as the battery moves in the coil it changes the position of the electromagnet, causing more movement. But it's not a practical thing.

All thats really moving is the view count / of course specialty magnets not found in stores

(a day ago· 464,636 views) impressive viral.

The magnets provide the magnetic field, as well as contacts that connect the coil of wire to the battery. When both sides are connected to the wire, it generates an electromagnetic field around the coil. Because of the directions the magnets are facing (and the polarity of the magnetic field created by the current through the coil), the magnetic fields repel each other, which pushes the battery through. When this happens, though, it simply energizes another part of the coil and the process repeats until one side of the battery no longer connects to the wire.

Notice that in the video, the battery/magnet assembly doesn't move until the back-end magnet touches the wire coil...

The key, which they don't really specify, is that the coil is bare copper wire. It's pretty ingenious.

The direction of the magnets on each end of motor is important. The field generated by the coil has to oppose the field generated by the magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…