Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How good is University of Teesside UK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aljamri

In my country; snome universities give some certificates worthless the paper they print on. Every year a new university pops up and filled with all neighboring countries. So that it is common to join a university and after graduation, no company will accept it.

In my case as an HND holder ( honored by Edexcel UK ), I'm looking to continue my education. This year, an institue offered The Bachelor of Engineering Program ( BEng ) for a period of 12 months. The fees = $ 9 408 or 4 700 Pounds. it is accredited by the University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK.

My questions are:
- Is this qualification makes me Engineer ?
- Is the University of Teesside is one of top universities ( as they claimed )
- In short is this offer worth it ? or there is a better ones ?

Thanks

In my country; snome universities give some certificates worthless the paper they print on. Every year a new university pops up and filled with all neighboring countries. So that it is common to join a university and after graduation, no company will accept it.

In the UK you can't just set up a university, it's a long and difficult process, and in many respects a degree from one is as good as a degree from another for 'most' jobs.

In my case as an HND holder ( honored by Edexcel UK ), I'm looking to continue my education. This year, an institue offered The Bachelor of Engineering Program ( BEng ) for a period of 12 months. The fees = $ 9 408 or 4 700 Pounds. it is accredited by the University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK.

My questions are:

I would suggest that Teeside is one of the 'lower' universities, an easy check is to see what their entry requirements are - also check their range of courses, they are fairly limited, and are mostly practical based (which is often a good thing).

Quite a lot of UK Cities have two Universities, a good one, and a poorer one - for example Sheffield has 'Sheffield University' (good one) and 'Hallam University' (poorer one), Nottingham is similar, as is Leicester, and Newcastle (plus many more).

For many jobs it makes no difference, the same degree from any is the exact same qualification - the main difference is the entry requirements - 'better' Universities have much higher requirements. Some (like Cambridge) require three A grades at A level, the lowest might require no A levels at all, or perhaps only one, and that at C grade.

We're currently looking at Universities for our daughter, she's just finished year 12, and needs to be applying later this year.

Mostly she's looking at medium to high ones (she's definitely NOT considering Cambridge, she's been there for a day, and loved the buildings, but hated the people and the 'feel' of the place). One serious contender is Newcastle, she's had a day there as well, she loved the place, it does the courses she wants, and the people and the 'feel' were really great. She's got various ones to visit yet, and the next is 'Keele University', which is probably the lowest rated she's visiting, but is 'different' to any others, and very quirky (you might give it a look?).

As for Teeside, I would imaginge it's very similar in 'feel' to Newcastle, so it's probably a fun place to be, and the people will be very friendly - apparently 50% of the graduates from Newcastle try and stay in the area when they leave, a friends son finished his degree a year ago, and he's now working in a call centre in Newcastle. Bit of a waste of a degree, but he wanted to stay there, and he's very happy - what more can you ask?.

I went to Keel university for a Jujitsu grading this winter gone by and I did like the feel of the place, it's got loads of bars and is one of the larges campuses in the UK; it feels like a small town or large village, more than a campus.

I went to Keel university for a Jujitsu grading this winter gone by and I did like the feel of the place, it's got loads of bars and is one of the larges campuses in the UK; it feels like a small town or large village, more than a campus.

Yes, because it's not in a city it has to be self contained (it's actually an old stately home estate), it has it's own supermarkets, doctors and dentists.

How did the grading go?, and what grade are you now?.

As a small association we do all our own gradings on site, but I know the large groups do theirs in massive blocks at a small number of locations - when a friend of mine took his first dan, he was in a group of over a hundred!.

It was my first grading, red belt and it went ok.

I'm not really doing Jujitsu for the belts, it's just good to know a bit of self defence and it gets me away from the computer.

I would think she'd be better choosing a university that she liked, rather than because it's supposed to be good. The trouble is, if you just go on the open day, you'll hear all the good stuff and not about the downside. I think it'd be a good idea for her to visit on a non-open day, talk to some of the students and find out what they really think. This shouldn't be too hard to do, I managed to sneak into the student bar for a drink, it's probably better to do this in the day rather than night. I supose if they ask her for her student pass, she could just be honest and say she's interested in going but wants to talk to some students about it before she makes a decision.

My questions are:

Thanks

You say "an institute" and "acredited by the University of Teeside". That sounds to me as if this is not the University of Teeside. You should check very carefully exactly what institute it is, and exactly what "accredited by" means in this case.

It was my first grading, red belt and it went ok.

Well done, once you've done a couple more belts you'll realise how little there is on the first belt - but at the time there seems LOT'S :p

Once you're about green belt, red looks so easy looking back - this is less true of the higher belts as you look back, because there's so much more on them, and they are physically demanding.

Not to mention the stress involved, when I started grading I hadn't done any kinds of examinations for years (decades!), never mind physical ones.

I'm not really doing Jujitsu for the belts, it's just good to know a bit of self defence and it gets me away from the computer.

You really need to do the belts, it gives progression and a goal to aim for, if you can find a permanent partner it really makes a difference - working together helps both of you learn faster, and it's easier with a permanent partner.

In fact, when me and my old partner (Ben) were going for our blue belts, our instructor didn't let us do any syllabus work the lesson before the grading - saying that if we didn't know it by then, we weren't going to learn it in one more lesson :D

Anyway, we didn't agree with that - so the next day (which we both happened to be off work) we hired some space at the local leisure centre (where Ben worked) and had a good private training session :p

I would think she'd be better choosing a university that she liked, rather than because it's supposed to be good. The trouble is, if you just go on the open day, you'll hear all the good stuff and not about the downside.

Yes, she's looking for ones she likes, but aiming for decent quality ones as well - we were quite impressed with York University the other week. She currently seems to be looking at a Chemistry degree, and the Chemistry departments really seem to be trying hard these days - we've found them most helpful, as well as free drinks and biscuits! :p

I think it'd be a good idea for her to visit on a non-open day, talk to some of the students and find out what they really think. This shouldn't be too hard to do, I managed to sneak into the student bar for a drink, it's probably better to do this in the day rather than night. I supose if they ask her for her student pass, she could just be honest and say she's interested in going but wants to talk to some students about it before she makes a decision.

Well she looks like a student, and would have no problems 'sneaking in', but she's been registered with NAGTY (National Academy for Gifted and Talented Youth) for years, and even before sixth form visited five universities under that scheme, including a four day stay at Loughborough University, which she really enjoyed, and still has friends she made there. So she's pretty 'clued up' about assessing universities.

I think you've got to enjoy where you go, you're likely to be there at least four years, so it's really important.

As for Teeside, I would imaginge it's very similar in 'feel' to Newcastle, so it's probably a fun place to be, and the people will be very friendly - apparently 50% of the graduates from Newcastle try and stay in the area when they leave, a friends son finished his degree a year ago, and he's now working in a call centre in Newcastle. Bit of a waste of a degree, but he wanted to stay there, and he's very happy - what more can you ask?.

Thanks Nigel, as usual i've got many information in your reply. but it seems i missleaded you. The study and exams will take place in my country. The papers will sent to the University, and terfore they graded them.

a very good luck to your daughter in here study.

Thanks

You say "an institute" and "acredited by the University of Teeside". That sounds to me as if this is not the University of Teeside. You should check very carefully exactly what institute it is, and exactly what "accredited by" means in this case.

Yes, that is a long time problem, they started 25 years ago as vocational cenetr, then they changed into institute and stuck with this name since then although they started HND program acredited by Edexcel U.K., they have not changed there name.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks Nigel, as usual i've got many information in your reply. but it seems i missleaded you. The study and exams will take place in my country. The papers will sent to the University, and terfore they graded them.

I think it was perhaps me that misunderstood you, rather than you been paricularly misleading.

It sounds like that should be a pretty good course to do, except you won't have the Teeside social life! :D

Generally the lesser rated Universities start you lower, on the basis you don't know as much as the higher students, many of the University Chemistry departments we've visited have said that all students have to take extra maths during their first year. When we mention that Melissa is doing Further Maths at A level, they say that wouldn't apply to her. So depending what your current qualifictions are, you 'may' even be able to do a shorter version of the course?.

When I was at Technical College, I was able to skip the first year entirely, as I already had Physics and Maths O levels.

a very good luck to your daughter in here study.

Thank you, we're currently awaiting her AS level results - which hopefully will be fairly good :eek:

it is accredited by the University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK.

You should check with the IEEE. If the school is not accredited by IEEE, you will not be able to call yourself a P. Eng.

It doesn't matter who else accredits it or gives testimonials. There is another institution in the US by the name of Cooks school of engineering, and they exhault to the fact that they are accredited by some obscure accreditation body for "alternative education". It doesn't matter who's Aunt Matilda accredits them. If the IEE doesn't, nobody else counts. These phoney schools take large amounts of your money and waste your time.

Last edited:
A EE degree usually takes 4 yrs. A 1yr degree will only land you a technician job. At my last company we had Devry and ITT grads who were only hired as Eng techs.

He already has an HND which is equavlent to the first two years of a degree.

Oh ok, I am not familiar with what an HND is.

He already has an HND which is equavlent to the first two years of a degree.

In addetion to the HND two years, i spent another 3 years to get ND. so it is my sixth year.

oooooh, you remined me with those loooooong five years. at the last year, i've had fought with everybody including myself.

You should check with the IEEE. If the school is not accredited by IEEE, you will not be able to call yourself a P. Eng.

It doesn't matter who else accredits it or gives testimonials. There is another institution in the US by the name of Cooks school of engineering, and they exhault to the fact that they are accredited by some obscure accreditation body for "alternative education". It doesn't matter who's Aunt Matilda accredits them. If the IEE doesn't, nobody else counts. These phoney schools take large amounts of your money and waste your time.

Thanks for the hint, but how to check that?!

:mad: I'll check all our engineers universities ;)

thanks

Thanks for the hint, but how to check that?!

:mad: I'll check all our engineers universities ;)

thanks

Check with ieee.org. THEY are the ones with an online list of schools that they accredit. ;)

I am assuming that ieee is the Engineering profession's official association in your country. I know that it is in North America. That's where the iron rings come from over here.

Another hint: State of Michigan has a list of non-accredited diploma mills and substandard schools whose diplomas are not to be given any value when hiring or promoting employees. I seem to remember that I got the State's web address from ieee.org a few years ago.

Last edited:
HND stands for High National Diploma, it's a real qualification, not just a high school diploma.

It took me five years studying for about 12 hours a week to get my HND. This was part of a modern apprenticeship programme, my employer paid for me to go to college for one day a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back