How long i can run a wire bitween pc and 2.1 sub ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDA2030

Advanced happy new year every body

i have 3years old 2.1 home theater for my hd 7.1ch pc, still its working pretty well

my father brought me a new 2.1 home theater as a birthday gift

and i thought put together both old and new and make some extreme bass 4channel system

i setup new one near my pc as a front lr channels, problem is the older 2.1 rear lr channels

how long i can run a wire between pc and 2.1 sub ???

10 feet distance between pc and sub, is the distance good for my pc sound card ??

Give me a best suggestion plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

plz excuse my english

You can make it as long as you like, just use coax audio cable. The sub signals are low frequency and not affected by any practical length of cable.

You can use standard hookup wire, amplified speakers do not benefit from shielded cabling unless you have absolutely massive (industrial) equipment wires running parrallel to it. Use the thickest wire you can conveniently get your hands on as it will reduce power loss, a long length of thin wire acts like a resistor eating power.

My response was for a powered sub, obviously. For an unpowered speaker than use large wire (typically zipcord) as Sceadwian suggested (He said for amplified speakers, but I believe he meant unpowered).

Yeah that's what I meant crut. Some audiophiles will swear you need shielded cable for long runs, but there's no sensibility behind it, the chances of picking up interference that could actually produce noise on a loudspeaker of decent power is nill, unless you're running the speaker lines parallel to heavy duty industrial type electrical lines. If it's a signal line that you're running IE where you're just transmitting a signal not the actual power then shielding is very important because the amplifier at the powered end will amplify the small amounts of noise you'll pick up to audible levels. Watch out for ground loops when you run shielded cabling though, I'm not sure how it effects shielding effectivness but if I'm not mistaken only one end of the shield needs to be grounded to avoid interference so you don't need to ground the shield at both ends which can cause ground loops.

If you are shielding a two or more signal wires that may be true. But for a typical audio coax cable the shield is also the return for the signal so it must be connected at both ends. If you have ground loop problems you can use a ground loop isolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…