How shady is this private message chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norlin

I'm tempted to do the job for this guy, make some money and once completed send his information on to the police to keep and eye on him.

I'm tempted to do the job for this guy
I've never been hungry enough to do that type of job. There are legitimate uses for card swipe loggers, but I can't think of one at the moment. What's his posting history? Business references (how will you be paid?)

I agree with mneary. You might be tempted to do the work but I doubt you'd ever see a penny. And with a trail (even one as ephemeral as this thread) any investigation might now lead back to you.

If you charge (and get) $100/hr then you probably don't need the work that badly anyway.

Torben

hi,
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a well insulated 10ft pole.!

It sounds and smells like a scam... [ a dark brown smell that is.!!!],

You guys are far too paranoid.

There are legitimate uses for this kind of thing. It is also very easy to implement. If I wanted to do something dodgy then I would buy any PDA, add a RS232 to USB cable and just use hyperterminal (the guy has the decoder). I think people are becoming far too suspicious.

If I was really stuck for a way to rip of credit cards then I would use a pencil and paper and write down the number. Have you not noticed that when your card doesn't work they type in the number!! Some places don't allow it but the fact is that the number is what is on the strip. How do you think mail order works?

Maybe I am being a little naive and simplistic but I see magnetic cards used everywhere and keyboards and card readers that can read them on open sale. Where is the security risk?

Mike.

Think what triggers me is that I watched and episode of CSI recently, ha ha ha good resource eh? Anyhow, a guy placed his reader in front of an ATM reader, so the card would pass through his reader into the ATM (if that makes sense, hard to explain). He had a mini camera looking at the keypad. So basically, the person would use the ATM and get their money, then the thief would review the footage later with the timestamp and match it to the card swipe, write it to a blank card and go use an ATM himself with the info and fake card.
As for payment, I'd be looking at overbilling, and I never do electronics consulting, so charging him my normal consulting rate (which I charge for my field of expertise) would be funny.

Here we've had a spate of Interac scams which involve the ne'er-do-wells replacing the handheld unit (which incorporates the card reader and customer keypad) with a nearly identical unit containing a logger which keeps track of the magstripe data and PINs. Pretty easy to do since many of the point-of-sale systems connect to the handheld unit with an RJ-45 connector, and you can pick up old units at pawn shops or the thrift stores. Then the bad guys come back after a few days and re-swap the units and bingo, they're laughing.

Torben

[Edit: "Identicate" isn't a word. It should be.]

Last edited:
I see plenty of legitimate uses for card readers that do something with the data.

Stand alone logging with no other action, on the other hand, not so innocent.

There's plenty ready to use Serial card reader here and there... no real problem.. but yeah if the user specify about a specific F2F decoder IC model... AND a specific track to read on the card... then yeah... now you "could" be afraid of the final use of it.. unless life is "good."

ericgibbs said:
hi,
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a well insulated 10ft pole.!

It sounds and smells like a scam... [ a dark brown smell that is.!!!],
Personally I wouldn't touch it with my well insulated 10ft pole touching yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…