Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate battery life if mAh and current draw of device is known

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm trying to find a suitable coin cell battery to run a small PIR motion detector module.
The specs on the module say it operates on 4-15V @ 45uA (microamps) when no signal is detected (standby), and 20mA when it senses motion and sends a logic output.
Since this operates at just above the standard 3 Volts that most coin cell batteries are I'm looking at this 6V battery from Digikey, capacity rating on this guy is 165mAh @ 30µA.

My question is, at 45uA how long will this battery last? I expect to see motion only a dozen or so times a day so the majority of it's life will be in standby mode.

165mAH = 165,000uAH. if you have a drain of 45uAH, then its 165,000uAH / 45uAH = 3666.6 Hours

Or approximatly 5 Months.

There will most likely be other drains on the battery that have to be considered but for what you have given above this would be your answer.

I'm guessing the capacity will be proportionally less if you draw 45uA continuously (as it is for sealed lead acid bats), so let's say 165*30/45 = ~110mAh. Not knowing how long the 20mA draw lasts makes precise calculation impossible, but if we guess 5secs at 10 times a day then the average sensed-motion current is 5*10*20/(60*60*24)mA, i.e. ~ 12uA. So the battery life should be 110*1000/(45+12) = ~1900hrs = ~80 days.

If you can estimate the amount of time the detector will actually detect something, you can get a more accurate number. Let's say it's activated 5 percent of the time: your consumption is then

i = n (20mA) + (100-n) (45µA)​

where n is the percentage of time it's on.

Impossible to say how long it will be in 'detection' mode for the life of the battery. I do know the detection dwell time and output signal is less than 1 second for each occurance (couple dozen occurances a day???).
I'm basically going off the standby time. From there I can deduct an estimated percentage to account for the time it will be in detection mode.

Based on the guesstimate above I was hoping to get more than 5 months. Hoping for a year or more.

Last edited:
5 months is the best-case time, which includes zero activation time. Each activation will shorten that time somewhat. (20mA is almost 450 times 45µA.)

Coin cells have high internal resistance so may have trouble supplying the 20 ma without a large voltage drop. If you can spare the space I would look for something like a AAA type or a couple of lithium ion types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back