Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to check frequency, velocity and ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have 3 pulse jet engines that I designed and built using German V1 flying bomb research data. They starts easy and runs great. I need to determine the number of pulses per second that each engine fires and the exact thrust the engine produces. I have not tried anything yet to test the pulse rate of frequency but it should be very close to 400 pulse per second. I used a spring to test the thrust the amound of movement on the spring gives me a fairly close guess within 90% but it is not accurate. I want to run the engine on different fuels and different fuel mixtures so I need something very accurate to measure thrust in ounces or smaller. I also need to determine the velocity of the1500 deg F exhaust gas this will tell me how fast the engine will fly on a model airplane the speeds should be some where from 100 mph to slightly less than 300 mph. I was thinking a strain guage might work for testing the thrust.

Check out the video.

YouTube - Lowracerman's Channel

Last edited:
I love the sound of pulse jets too. I had always wanted one since I first saw a Dynajet at a hobby shop in the 1950's and finally fulfilled that dream about 10 years ago. What are you running on? I used nitromethane plus absolute ethanol.

As for your questions: I suspect thrust would be measured in much the same way as with any engine. Model Aviation has has a few devices over the years pictured that did that. I would suggest a pivoted lever and don't see why a spring gauge would not be accurate enough. If it is not, then a modern electronic balance could be pressed upon by the lever.

Exhaust velocity might be a bit harder to measure. I have read somewhere that a substantial proportion of the combustion air actually enters through the tail pipe, so the flow may be turbulent.

I assume you are aware of the pulse-jets.com forum. Quite a few threads were found by searching on exhaust velocity. Many tried to calculate velocity based on temperatures and/or pressure differences, as with a pitot tube and manometer.

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back