Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to convert battery powered device to AC power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLo70

I have a small room monitor camera that uses a single Lithium CR123A battery to operate. I'd like the option of plugging this into the wall to run on AC power as well. Is it as simple as finding a suitable AC adapter, stripping the wires off of it and connecting each to the negative and positive terminals on the battery case? I'm not looking to add a plug-in port. I just plan to feed the wires into the back of the device for a quick fix. Will this work...and if so, what type of adapter is needed? Thanks in advance!

When you say "as well", do you mean you want simply to ditch the battery and run on mains power instead? That would be simple. If you want a combined mains/battery set-up then you would also need to have some switch-over arrangement. A mechanical switch (e.g. a switched socket) would be simplest.

Yes, I mean "instead". Was just thinking "as well" in case I wanted to convert it back to battery-powered if the need ever arises.

If you can cut the wire to one terminal of the battery and bring out the two cut ends, plus a wire from the other battery terminal, on extension wires to an externally-mounted switched DC power-socket (the type you usually find on combined mains/battery portable cd players etc), you can then plug in a 3V stabilised DC supply from a wall-wart.

Last edited:
So i would need to break my device completely open to access the wires that go to the battery terminals? Is it possible to just connect wires to the existing terminals where each side of the batteries touch? There are no screws holding the device together. I believe they snap into place. I'm afraid if I crack it open I won't be able to put it back together. As you can probably tell, I don't know ANYTHING about how electronics operate!

Wouldn't using a dummy cell like you posted be the same as just connecting the adapter wires directly to the battery terminals?

I'd go with 4pyros suggestion. No soldering to the battery contacts necessary, so no risk of damage to the camera.

I was thinking of just twisting the wires around the terminals, not soldering them. Nothing permanent.

I was thinking of just twisting the wires around the terminals, not soldering them. Nothing permanent.
That may work if you can get to the terminals, but it may become intermittent in a short time. So if you are not worried about it not working sometimes it may be fine. Other wise use the dummy cell. Andy

And once again, most AC adapters are not regulated. You will need one that says it is regulated, if it dosnt say than its not.

This **broken link removed** is by far the best battery eliminator that I have found. I ordered mine from a company that also provided a spade lug to adapt a plug adapter.

It's basically a LM317T regulator with a tapped secondary, so as you select a voltage a corresponding secondary tap is selected.
It made an AM battery/adapter radio really listenable.

It may not be appropriate for what you want to use it for, but it's an excellent all purpose supply. I got mine and the adapter from Minuteman Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back