How to count and record electrical pulse from reed sensor with time control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasagamguru

I am new to Electronics, but I can understand little bit electronics and terminalogy. I need to make a sensor using reed sensor. The thing is I need to count the electrical pulse( closure of circuit) and record it in a storage device for long time. The voltage given to the sensor is 5 volt.
Please suggest some tips on this?
Thnaks

You could use a mechanical digit counter. They are fairly low power (maybe 6v at 100mA to "pulse" the counter) and they use zero power when not counting.

And they keep their count for any length of time with no power needed.

Thanks Mr RB. Actually I need to count and store the data like number of pulse after 1 mintute 2 minute , 3 minute, like that for a hour. So it will be like 60 numbers per hour. I hope you understand what I come to say.
Thanks

Well to count pulses and store 60 different numbers per hour the only sensible solution would be to use a microcontroller with memory which involves quite a bit of effort.

Maybe you could just attach it to a PC and use one of the shareware datalogger type programs?

Mr. RB,
Thank you very much. In the internet I saw a loop current data logger, from Easy Logic company. It can store 32K data at 5 second intervals. Can it be used for my purpose. If so please give an idea how to incorporate that data logger in to my unit. It has two leads, and company specified that it can record current in the range of 4 to 20 Milli Ampere.
I await for your reply.

Can you post a link to that logger?
"4-20mA" is a method of transmitting and receiving data in an analog form, not the range of the current measurement.
https://www.bapihvac.com/CatalogPDFs/I_App_Notes/Understanding_Current_Loops.pdf

Ken

Last edited:
Hi

You have a few options as to using a data logger. I have no clue as to your budget but if you can use a PC with a RS232 port then: something like this would work at a pretty reasonable cost. You only need a single channel to record your sensor pulses. They also make some starter kits with a USB interface for about $50.

Besides the included record and playback software Dataq kits are real easy to interface with if you want to write your own code. I was unable to find the data logger you mentioned.

Ron

That's a really cool product.
I spent on a lot of time and energy processing data and sending them to a PC, when I came across this. That's some revelation.

I agree with Ken in that the refrenced module really isn't going to get you where you want to go. I would look at the Dataq starter kits with a focus on the DI 148 which gives you 8 +/- 10 Volt analog channels (work fine for recording pulses) as well as a few digital channels.

I have used these units and they work great and the recording functions work fine. The playback software allows for a timeline so if you want to count the number of pulses on any channel for a given period of time it becomes fairly easy. Actually a second channel could be set up with an event trigger (marker) to provide a pulse from an external source at given time intervals.

These are pretty good units, with focus on the DI 148. All this assumes you have a computer to record the data.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…