Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decipher a "bus" on a diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qsiguy

Here is an example of what I'm trying to sort out. When a diagram shows a "bus" (the thick blue lines) with multiple conductors how do you determine which pin goes to what on the other end of the bus? The terminal designations don't match up and both the AM29F010S chips indicate the same terminal numbers. I do have this schematic in an .SCH file I can open in Eagle software.

**broken link removed**

Each of the thin lines going into the thick line should have a net name associated with it. For whatever reason, that switch is turned off in the capture you posted. If it was turned on, you would then be easily able to figure out which wire goes where, because it would say so just above the wire.

I turned that off because all the labels were the same. I will check it again with that label turned on to be sure. I think all the ones on the 20x20 header on the left side were labeled "Pas 1" or something like that. All the left side terminals on the EPROMs are labeled "IN 0" and the right side terminals are labeled "Miz 0"

Here's another pic although I don't think you'll be able to read the labels in this pic.

**broken link removed**

qsiguy said:
I turned that off because all the labels were the same. I will check it again with that label turned on to be sure. I think all the ones on the 20x20 header on the left side were labeled "Pas 1" or something like that. All the left side terminals on the EPROMs are labeled "IN 0" and the right side terminals are labeled "Miz 0"
In the toolbar you will find a tool with "ABC" for an icon, this is the LABEL tool. Select it and click each net/line in question and it will display the NAME of the net. If you click it a 2nd time the NAME text will be added to the schematic at the cursor location.

You can show and hide these with by selecting NAMES using the DISPLAY tool.

Hello qsiguy,

use the eye-symbol and click on the bus. The information should be at least: A[0..15],D[0..7].

If you don't get it that circuit is not engineered. It's just a simple drawing and nobody except for the author knows which net has to go from where to where.

Bus intersections should be marked as such. One could assume it is just one bus, but I guess there are two different buses, one for the addresses and the other one for the data. Further it's always a good idea to label the buses.

Hans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back