Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find a burnt resistor without circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wkyong said:
How to find a burnt resistor without circuits? Thanks you!!!!

Whats the piece of equipment and do you have a photograph.?

wkyong said:
How to find a burnt resistor without circuits? Thanks you!!!!

Well, I would a continuity test. You take the leads of an multimeter and check for continuity of a circuit, usually the resistor in suspect. if you dont want to do that, you'll need to check each sub circuit assembly via a shematic diagram and see if its volatge out or current source matches its schematic reresentation. if not, something loopy is wrong with the circuit.

but of course, you probably dont want that. do a continuity test.

If said resistor is truely 'burnt' then it should be obvious where it is, as it'll look different. Black, possibly with some black stuff around it on the PCB, and its colour code (value code if its SMT) would probably be worn off.

Then again, as you're looking for a 'burnt' one, I assume its a higher wattage resistor? like 5W wirewound or something, in which case you can't always tell, and you'll have to do the suggested continuity test.

Blueteeth

I think the OP's real question is "How to find the value of a burnt(open-circuited) resistor without the schematic?"

wkyong said:
Yes!! This is what I means!

I'll repeat my question.

Whats the piece of equipment and do you have a photograph.?

Someone out here may have the same item of equipment and be able to identify it from a picture or description...:)

wkyong said:
Yes!! This is what I means!

The component burnt without identity and no comparable equipment where from the value could be read out, and no schematic, either?
Nice situation. we may have to reverse engineer the part of the circuit where the burnt resistor is a part. then depending on the case, we may have to evaluate its value. this evaluation would always be approximate and then we have to substitute and try. It calls for some design capability and elementary electrical and electronic application (includes solid state or vacuum tube, as the case may be) capability.

As has been sought by seniors already, try to provide a clear case study and with clear and focused close-up shots, duly compressed and sized to fit to avoid bandwidth wastage. this help us to help you in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back