Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the diode forward voltage, and diode forward Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingOfStorms

So I just got some IR-LED's for a new project. This is my first time doing large scale circuits with LED's and what not, so what I want to know is how can I find my LED's forward voltage, and forward current (mA). Also, when I got my IR-LED's it came with some resistors, but how do I know how many Ω resistance it has? So thanks, this is my first time on this site hope it helps.

BTW, I want to power my LED's with a modified ATX power supply from a computer I had laying around, which voltage should I feed into my large scale of IR-LED's? (I'm am going to be using about 100 of the LED's)

Do you have a Digital Multimeter?

Like **broken link removed**?

The resistors you received are identified by the colored bands around them. There a bazillion websites that do color code deciphering. If that doesn't work, invest $3 in a Harbor Fright DVM. For a dollar more you can go high class with the backlit model. Use the ohms ranges to measure your resistors.

Just throwin' this out here-Using the 12v PS output, and assuming a Vf of 2 volts, 5 LED's in series would make the total voltage 10 volts. Once again, assuming an If of 20ma, you will need a resistor to limit the current from the 12v source to the 10v diodes. R = E/I = (12 - 10)/20ma = 2/.02 = 100 ohms. P = EI = 2 * 0.02 = 0.04 watts. A 100 ohm 1/4 watt resistor will work well. For 100 LED's, there will be 20 rows of 5 LED's. Each row will have its own 100 ohm resistor and consume 20ma. 20 rows at 20ma each will be 20 * .02 = 400ma total. You can do this with a 12v, 500ma(or more) wallwart.

If your Vf and If are different, rearrange the # of LED's in a row and the # of rows to get a total voltage of a couple of volts less than the supply and figure your current limiting resistance accordingly. LED's are pretty tollerant. 20ma is a real good number to run them at. The Vf can be found on any LED website. Every different color LED is made from a unique material with its own Vf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back