Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find transformers power

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

Hi

I have a small transformer sitting on my desk right now.
size is 42 x 34 x 30 mm. Takes in 230VAC and gives out 2x 15.7VAC.
Came from an UPS.

Markings on it are 430-0006*6
LEI-4 9352
E154515
Class 130 (B) R1520

Winding resistances:
Primary - 653 ohms
Secondarys- 81 ohms each

Any ideas? How many Amps DC would I expect to get from that?

Thanks
--Rain--

That is very little power for its size, perhaps it is a control tranformer. To answer your question: I=E/R = 15.7/81 = 194mA short circuit output. Maximum power will be with 81 ohm load: I=97mA. The primary current can be calculated from the turns ratio: 230/15.7=14.6, 97/14.6 = 6.6ma. 6.6mA*653 ohms = 4.3 volts drop in input voltage; not a lot.

hi rain,

From the physical size it sounds about 2 to 3VA, which means at best 50 to 100mA max on both secondaries, the 81R is a high, so the regulation will be poor.

Connect the mains and load with a 220R 3Watt resistor, check the 17.5Vac

So do I understand correctly.
I can get nice 100mA from it at 15.7VAC?
or is it 100mA @ 4.5VAC or what...

I'm kinda new to this AC and transformers world ;) have always relied on battery power you know :p

If the 17.5 volts is the open circuit voltage, the output to the 81 ohm load will be 17.5/2=8.75 volts. If you connect the two secondaries in series, you can get 17.5 volts to a 162 ohm load.

God I feel like a complete idiot right now...
Could you please tell me how many mA will I get when I regulate the voltage to 12V, 5V or 3.3V. One secondary only (I use 2 windings separately to get 2 voltages out of it in one go)

So a nice 100mA at least for logic level electronics (5v) right?

That's enough for me I think ;)
Plus imho i gain 1.7*AC voltage when going to DC (diodes + capacitors)

AC/DC EI Type Power Transformer

Accurate information on the AC/DC EI Type Power Transformermodel 35DOBOP OR LS-A7632-PT, manufactured by leader electronics inc.

veronilson (veronilson@hotmail.com)

Its probably actually rated for 9V, transformers this small have really poor regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back