Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find voltage and current of an led

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
I purchase a bag of led at local swapmeet ,since led are not mark with voltage and current.
How do i find out how much voltage and current these led can use?
mrel

What do they look like? can you post a picture?

Make a LED tester.

My meter has a diode mode. If the LED turn on voltage is below 2.00 volts the meter will measure the voltage at 1mA. A red LED might read 1.4 volts. Because some LEDs run about 3 volts a 9V battery and a limiting resistor would be better.

For current rating; you will have to guess by looking in a catalog and comparing.

Post a picture and many of us will give our opinion. (what ever that is worth)

If they are 5mm then all will be 20mA max and colour determines Vf @ 20mA where the threshold voltage , Vth say at 1 or 2 mA will be below the rated Vf at @20mA according to its quality and size of chip, but usually in the 10 to 20 Ohm range . so the rise will be 200~400mV

3mm less current
7seg LED 10~20mA
You can search under Digikey LEDs for representative Vf's

Since ALL single LEDs are rated at -5V max, using a 9V battery can be hazardous to the LED's life expectance with partial damage at -9V. Although it may not fail until 10V or more, it's not a great practice with unknowns. The polarity is usually marked with the flat edge being negative, BUT not always.

I have a little box that has dual row sockets where I can insert a dozen or more with different series R's marked by current.

White, Blue and Green LED's are > 3V up to 3.8V on really old poor quality ones, but typically 3.2V for nominal.

HB Red and Yellow are 2.0 ~2.2V
and deep Red old GaAs RED are 1.2~1.6V

IR LED's are 1.0 ~1.2 and invisible with a faint red glow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back