Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get my usb-com-pic link working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloody-orc

does anyone know hot to convert usb 2.0 into usb1.1? changing in software would be the best.

Re: how to convert usb 2 into usb 1.1

bloody-orc said:
does anyone know hot to convert usb 2.0 into usb1.1? changing in software would be the best.
What exactly are you trying to do? USB2.0 is backwards compatible with USB1.1 so there is nothing to solve. :wink:

Re: how to convert usb 2 into usb 1.1

bloody-orc said:
go to bios setup and deseble USB 2 and it is now USB 1.1

I agree with Jay.... what is it you need to do? Downgrading the port doesn't seem to answer the original question?

If a device is only capable of 1.1, the port will figure this out and behave accordingly. If the connected device cannot communicate it's abilities I am not sure if it would work ( be recognized and initialize ) in the first place.

the problem is that it doesn't figure it out :p it kinda works with usb 2: it understands, that my usb->com port is connected to it.

i try disabeling usb 2.0

You have a problem, but you have not described it in enough detail, and there is nothing we can really do but to guess what exactly your problem is.

my problem is, that my usb->serial(COM) converter isn't working. My laptop sees it (it says hadrware working properly) and generates a COM port, but this port is not usable. I'm trying to program my pic(axe) with it and it says hardware not accessible. When i unplug the usb cable from my laptop and stick it in the PC i can download the program in my PIC with no problems. I think my PC is old enaugh to have USB 1.1 not 2.0 but laptop is pretty new.

windows is same on both of them (xp home SP1) drivers seem to be also the same

i'm not familiar with picaxe but laptops are devices designed to live with limited power and usb ports are often starved (have limited power).
did you try to connect USB hub that has external power supply?
If the power is an issue, this should cover for it. some USB devices require use of two USB ports when connected to laptop (like USB<>IDE interfaces etc.).

thanks for the info.
those USB hubs are darn expencive :( can't I connect a battery to the wires to increase the power? of cource regulated power suply. Also my laptop is mainly on a cable so it should have the power needed. The picaxe only uses 2,3,5 pins on COM port (Tx,Rx,Gnd). I dont know if those need wery much power or not

And how big is the % that my thingy might start working after installing SP2? it takes a full day to get that on my computer and i don't have one to spear.

and also causes the same amount when using older technologie. Well i'll see if the admin alows to do this on it.

well, i'm soon done installing it and then tomorrow i test it and then when i get back to internet ( i go to a place where there isn't :cry: ) then i report if it worked or not.

sp2 did NOT make this work but made my com mouse work
now i'm bilding an amp betwean so it might work better

Attachments

• comamp.jpg
    comamp.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 342
well i changed the name. so the problem is that the signals from my usb->com converter are to weak for me to program my pic so i'm searching for an amplifier to get it operating. the schematic with a MAX232 was suposed to do so, but as it seems it can't right?

and now i'm seartching for a better amplifier circuit betwean com and my pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back