How to identify pin 1 on SOT-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I have some 10f200s in SOT-23 and they are so tiny I cannot identify pin 1 by normal methods. There does not appear to be a dot or notch in the package and even with my big magnifier I cannot read the writing. So, what I have done is use my meter on diode test mode and with the red lead on (assumed Vss) pin 2 I get a forward voltage on all the port pins of around 0.5V. With the black lead on pin 5 (Vdd) I get a reading on all port pins except MCLR. I have therefore concluded that I have indeed identified pin 1.

However, this is obviously not the way it's done and I suspect that the way they are arranged in the packaging would identify pin 1. So, what is the normal way to identify pin 1 on an SOT-23 device?

Mike.

Hi Mike,
Is this any help.

EDIT:
Found this, the pins are not symmetrical from the ends of ic.

Attachments

• esp01 Aug. 30.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,122
  • esp03 Aug. 30.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for trying but unfortunately the 10f200s have all six pins present and so are perfectly symmetrical. I guess from your diagram that the code would be SOT-23-6.

Mike.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for trying but unfortunately the 10f200s have all six pins present and so are perfectly symmetrical. I guess from your diagram that the code would be SOT-23-6.

Mike.

hi,
Look at my edit.

I think that is just the way it's been drawn in the datasheet. If you look at the actual dimensioned drawing around page 83 they are actually symmetrical.

Having now worked out the full ident is SOT-23-6 I found **broken link removed** which suggest the package is the key. I can't however work out which side of the packaging I'm looking at.

Mike.

hi,
As you say it looks as though the 'tape dispenser' is the key to the orientation.

Thats a bummer.

hi Mike,
Been searching around, all I can find is a reference to a laser mark near pin #1.

this is what i found on Microchip DS41239A of 2004 and 10f200 datasheet page 78.
I found the lettering style also on page 77, and obviously pin 1 is bottom left

Attachments

• sot23.GIF
    7.2 KB · Views: 741
  • 6lead sot23.GIF
    2.6 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
I used some devices of the PIC10F family in the SOT-23 package, mainly PIC10F202s and PIC10F222s. They are marked with a 4-character label as shown by the datasheets - as mentioned in previous posts. There is a very small dot printed below the label that identifies pin 1.

Last edited:
Some SOT packages have a bevel on the pin 1 edge. That is, a bevel where the top surface meets the side. If you have this, hold the chip up with the top towards you, the bevel to your left, and pin 1 is the topmost pin on the left.

Hope that helps.
kenjj

I am surprised that the combined expertise here hasn't come up with the direct solution.

Connect a supply limited to a few mA and 5 V or less to pins 1 and 4. I know that you don't know which is which at the moment.

The power supply pins are pins 2 and 5. Vdd (pin5) will be the one that is more positive when the supply is connected to pins 1 and 4.

Why does that work? Well by choosing pins 1 and 4 we have two I/O lines that are clamped to Vdd and Vss with diodes. Section 12 of the data sheets says that there a clamp diodes and you mustn't put more than 20 mA through them.

That gives you a bridge rectifier, with GP0 and GP2 as the AC connections, Vdd as the +ve and Vss as the negative. The small current will be rectified and will appear on Vdd and Vss.

Believe me, the dot is not there or (quite likely) my eyesight can't see it. I have a 4" diameter desk magnifier with circular fluorescent and I can't see any dot or read any numbers.

Tomorrow I will take a picture.

Mike.

Believe me, the dot is not there or (quite likely) my eyesight can't see it. I have a 4" diameter desk magnifier with circular fluorescent and I can't see any dot or read any numbers.

Tomorrow I will take a picture.

Mike.
Hi Mike, no need for that and any one on this site can beleive you when you state that there is NO Mark. How ever, thinking that it is Made by Microchip, and if any readable characters are there, perhaps pin 1 would be left bottom as you know,

look at the lettering. Like place it in a way you can read it and not upside down letters/numbers then it should be the bottom left pin.

There is also one trick for reading engraved chip markings like on microchips ICs. What you do is use a very bright LED and shine it from the side at a very big angle. This normally makes the letters on the chip light up like they are flurecent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…