Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to interface a microcontroller with a stepper motor/PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

perpetual_dream

Hey,
Ive recently purchased the PIC16F628 MCU. I'd like to use to interface the MCU with the computer through the serial port and use it 2control a stepper motor for any kind of application. I've took a microprocessor course in the university. I know how does it work. But I have no experience when it comes to microcontrolers. What is the development tool for the microcontroller and what is the recommended language of programming? Do u have any sources with deals with an interfacving similar to mine?
Thanks in advance :)

Re: How to interface a microcontroller with a stepper motor/

perpetual_dream said:
Hey,
Ive recently purchased the PIC16F628 MCU. I'd like to use to interface the MCU with the computer through the serial port and use it 2control a stepper motor for any kind of application. I've took a microprocessor course in the university. I know how does it work. But I have no experience when it comes to microcontrolers. What is the development tool for the microcontroller and what is the recommended language of programming? Do u have any sources with deals with an interfacving similar to mine?
Thanks in advance :)

You can drive the stepper with a simple transistor interface, assuming it's a unipolar one?.

For the PIC, download the free MPLAB and program in assembler - check my tutorials!.

This forum is full of posts on stepper motors. There are many references to other websites with introductory material. Microcontrollers, like microprocessors, PCs and mainframes are programmed in assembly language, compiled languages like C, and interpreted languages like Basic. The assembly language tools for the PIC16F628 are free from MIcrochip. Download the program from their website called MPLAB. There are several vendors who market C compilers, and they have free evaluation versions with a catch. Poke around to see what is out there you never know what you'll find. The journey is at least half the adventure.

Good Luck

I want to control the stepper motor thru the micro controller, Is that possible, do I still need transistor Interfcae? You mean I can begin programming the MCU by using MPLAB as the development tool which uses assembly as the programming language? What is the exact benefit of WinPicProg 1.91 over MPLAB Thanks :)

perpetual_dream said:
What is the exact benefit of WinPicProg 1.91 over MPLAB Thanks :)

If you have to ask this question, you are better off reading the FAQ sticky of this sub-forum on PICs.

Missed it? Can't find it? Its the first thread of the post listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back