Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to load PIC with RISC Assembly language

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2eye

I would like to program PIC16F874 microprocessor.
using< microsoft MPLAB > that supplies RISC Assembly language

QUESTION:
what are the options can I add to my Windows XP computer that will:

1. translate a RISC Assembly program into machine code

2. output the machine language program to an external PIC connected to the computer

Thank you !
hawk2eye

hawk2eye said:
I would like to program PIC16F874 microprocessor.
using< microsoft MPLAB > that supplies RISC Assembly language

QUESTION:
what are the options can I add to my Windows XP computer that will:

1. translate a RISC Assembly program into machine code

2. output the machine language program to an external PIC connected to the computer

Thank you !
hawk2eye

Do you mean Microchip MPLAB? I did not know Microsoft wrote an MPLAB too.

MPLAB will assemble your program and convert it to binary/machine code (.hex file).

You will need a programmer and software to write the code inside the PIC chip.

There are a number of low cost kits on the Internet, google.com.

The P16PRO40 I have works fine for just programming. Nigel Goodwin has nice free software package (winpicprog) that will program many PICS via many programmers (I use it with my P16PRO40). There is a Winpic as well. Again, google.com.

I just made an Inchworm ICD2 thanks to a couple of the members here and it works as well (allows programming PICS AND debugging some if they say ICD2 supported) and this works from inside MPLAB.

There is also an Olimex for about $99 that will do they same and has USB if you are using a laptop.

mramos1:
as you wrote
<< You will need a programmer and software to write the code inside the PIC chip >>.

The hardware < programmer> , external to the computer
is understood, but...

QUESTION:
1. What software would you recommend to load the <binary/machine code (.hex file) >
into the PIC programmer ?

Thanks for the information !

hawk2eye said:
QUESTION:
1. What software would you recommend to load the <binary/machine code (.hex file) >
into the PIC programmer ?

The software comes with the programmer - although you need to ensure it supports the chip you're using. For this reason the ICD2 (or clone) is a good choice, because it uses the official MicroChip code - so modern chips are added VERY quickly.

I'm also building an InchWorm ICD2 clone - almost finished, just a couple of parts I forgot to order :mad:

eblc1388 said:
You should read the sticky first post of this forum.

a good place to start, I downloaded it and will spend some time studying it.

Thanks for your note !

hawk2eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back