Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make homebrew bs2 work with usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PIC16C57 does not have a USB interface so no.

You could always use a FTDI USB to Serial converter on the board. That way your BS2 will appear as a serial port when you plug it in to your PC.

ya but what you're talking about will cost probably hundreds of dollars. this bs2 cost me less then $20. i like the idea of the converter though! is that a chip or is it an actual adapter? got plenty of room on this board

Costs less than $50. Take a look at an issue of JPUG on my site for examples.

An ICD programming connector takes 3pins and also will allow hardware debug on many PICs.

My Junebug looks like this.
**broken link removed**

MPLAB compatible USB programmer / debugger on the top and 18F experimenter on the bottom. The 10pin connector on the right can be used to program most PICs (IE ICP/ICD)

Last edited:
Costs less than $50. Take a look at an issue of JPUG on my site for examples.

An ICD programming connector takes 3pins and also will allow hardware debug on many PICs.

My Junebug looks like this.
**broken link removed**

MPLAB compatible USB programmer / debugger on the top and 18F experimenter on the bottom. The 10pin connector on the right can be used to program most PICs (IE ICP/ICD)

i have a dspic30f4something but i need a programmer for it. right now i'm on a "whatever i find in the trash or have lying around" budget though :p i already had the chips and the resonator new for the basic stamp. the capacitors were pretty easy to dig up. and i grabbed an old serial port from a broken cable. it should be more then sufficient for what i need to do with it.

Blueroomelectronis has the schematic for the Junebug and the Inchworm programmers online. Many people here have build them Some both.

These use Microchip's own firmware and that translates to more supported chips.

The real bonus is that they work with MPLAB for in circuit debugging. The Junebug will also function as a 4 channel Logic analyzer and a TTL to USB serial connecton.

The down side is you need to program a PIC to build them.

Last edited:
homebrewed bs2

hello. i made a homebrew bs2 from this design

WeetHet - BasicStamp - Make you own BasicStamp

i was wondering if it's possible to make it usb instead of serial because i just realized none of my pc's have a serial port :p. so anyone know how to do this? i googled for hours and all the designs use a serial port

Hi, I was googling myself crazy to find someone whom has also tried to build the bs2 at home. I have also tried, but cant get it to work. I built it from the same schematic as you did. Did yours work, after sorting out the usb-to-serial thing? I would really like to hear that it did.. and how.. what compiler/downloader/software did you use? I'm still struggling to light a LED.. LOL. I just recently started with my new passion with electronics, so I'm still very green in this hobby.

Would really appreciate it if you could advice me with regards to the homebrewed bs2.

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back