How to measure pressure in balloon or gymnastic ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I would like to know if someone hit or set on a gymnastic ball, what is the best way to measure the pressure inside it or what kind of sensor that is can achieve that

Easiest might be to get a simple (cheap) "stick" tire pressure gauge and a pressure hose adapter "pin" that is used to inflate balls, like basketballs, beach balls, etc. I'm referring to the type of pin that has one end that would fit into, for instance, a bicycle tire hand pump.

Hold the fat end of the pin to the input of the pressure gauge, insert the pin into the ball's inflating hole and read the result. It will take some manipulation to keep it all from leaking.

Last edited:
Are you asking about a "wireless" method, or can you have wires/tubes connected to the balloon?

Well, if you can connect a tube, use a simple water manometer....

If you can get something inside the ball, consider a wireless pressure transmitter as used currently in cars. I am concerned the pressure range in the ball may be too low for an automotive gauge. If that is the case, check out gauges used for agricultural tractor tires.

Do you also need to measure the pressure in a balloon?

John

Man, the "gymnastic ball" portion of the OP's question threw me off course by a mile.

How did you'all get to "wireless" from that original post?? I'm impressed (since you were apparently right)!

Man, the "gymnastic ball" portion of the OP's question threw me off course by a mile.

How did you'all get to "wireless" from that original post?? I'm impressed (since you were apparently right)!

Lucky guess based on "hit" the ball.

As for the balloon, they are quite low pressure, a least the party balloon type I was thinking of. That will be another problem. I do wish people would describe in more detail what they are trying to do. Somewhere in the instructions for ETO it says good questions get good answers.

John

wires are ok. I will use zigbee inside it in any case
Confusing.. but for wireless pressure sensor you could do this:

- Buy a pressure sensor with an analog output.
- Connect the sensor to an XBee module with ADC.
- Put the device inside the gymnastic ball.
- Start reading data with another XBee module.

https://www.faludi.com/2006/12/03/xbee-direct-io-with-adc/

I would like if I set on the ball, it produces color, so that I would like to measure the pressure inside the gymnastic ball
The Xbee module has enough IO to control some LEDs etc.. if that is what you need to "change color".

Be careful if you buy barometric pressure sensors, since most of them can't measure much above 1 atmoshpere (100 kPa).

Last edited:
MisterT, what kind of pressure sensor should I buy ?

How much money can you spend?
Can you buy online from digikey, farnell, sparkfun etc?
Do you have any idea what is the pressure range you need to measure?

Last edited:
Yea I can. Money isn't a problem.
Do you have any idea what is the pressure range you need to measure?

[QUOTE/]

No really, but It should be more than the atmospheric pressure, because I measure inside the balloon

Last edited:
I made a quick search and actually didn't find any suitable absolute analog sensors. Best thing would be to go for differential sensor, but I don't know if you can get reference pressure from outside the ball.. this means running a tube through the ball etc.

EDIT:
This could be it:
https://www.mouser.com/ds/1/196/KP236N6165_DS_Rev_1.0-43961.pdf
It measures from 60kPa to 165kPa.

Last edited:
Thanks mister, but the problem that I tried a similar sensor like MPX4115, and I get very low range of value, inside the balloon.

Thanks mister, but the problem that I tried a similar sensor like MPX4115, and I get very low range of value, inside the balloon.

That sensor has a pressure range from 15 kPa to 115 kPa. That means it can not measure pressures much above average atmospheric pressure (~100 kPa).

The sensor I found measures from 60 kPa to 165 kPa and translates that range to an analog voltage from 0V to 5V. It is much better choice for your application.. and it is also cheap. I hope the 165 kPa limit is high enough for gymnastic ball.

EDIT:
There is also KP229L2920 from Infineon. It measures from 60 kPa to 260 kPa. That could be about the best sensor you can find for your application.. or the one that measure up to 165 kPa (KP236N6165).

And I'm talking about measuring pressure inside gymnastic ball with somebody hitting or sitting on it.. not a party balloon that somebody squeezes. Those are two completely different pressure ranges.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…