Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to power a fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourcorners

Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have two cats and I purchased a "Cat Furniture" litter box for them. It will be placed in the garage with a pet door from the house leading to it. I want to pull the litter box air out of the furniture box and vent it to the garage. I bought two Nexus fans per the following specs:

Nexus Real Silent 120 mm Case Fan Specifications
Model D12SL-12
Power Connector 4-pin & 3-pin
Dimensions 120x120x25mm
Rated Voltage 12 Volts
Operation Voltage 6.5 ~ 13.8 Volts
Input Current 0.30 Amp Max
Input Power 1.8 Watts Max

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to supply power for one of them or both of them at the same time. I know I need a small ac/dc power supply but I don't know what size or type. Also; how do I hook up the power. The connectors are listed above. The fan is for a computer but I purchased it because it is very quiet. Didn't think that the cats would like to hear a lot of fan noise while they are doing their business.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Fourcorners said:
how do I hook up the power. The connectors are listed above. The fan is for a computer but I purchased it because it is very quiet. Didn't think that the cats would like to hear a lot of fan noise while they are doing their business.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Maybe, just maybe, you can teach the cat to cut it's claws on the fan blades, but you better make sure he's not just sharpening them!

Idea: You could have one fan running all the time and the second one controlled by a motion sensor so that it turns on as he gets in the box.

Also, the fans are capable of speed adjustment so connecting a pot in line with them will allow for precise control.

Attached is a drawing of the connector you probable have. The easiest way is to cut the connectors off all together and wire it that way... +(positive) supply to yellow and ground to black. The red wire is a sense wire for speed variation relative to heat when hooked up to your motherboard. The option 2 cut is if you are certain you have the matching three pin connector. The 2 fans should be able to run from the same 12VDC 1000mA supply.

My friend has a similar setup with a motion sensor turning the fan on with a 555 timer for 15min or so, then shutting off.

If your cat is really smelly then I suggest using both fans on high 24/7!

Attachments

• connector.png
    connector.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back