Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to punch out thin metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef22

I am trying to mod a DVR recorder and place some nifty leds on the front face. How would you punch out some led holes and I also need to make a usb rectangle.

Thanks

For round holes, use a titanium-coated drill bit of the desired size. For rectangular (or more exotic) shapes, use a rotary tool with a cut-off wheel.

edit: Sorry, for some reason I was thinking sheet metal that's probably more heavy-duty than what you've got in your recorder. Still, the tools mentioned above will do, although an HSS drill bit would probably be good enough for the holes, too.

Last edited:
Or

use a hole punch tool.
I have one which is like a pair of pliers, in which you can insert different diameter punch and hollow counter punches.
Works very well in Aluminium plates up to 5mm thick.

Also you can use a step drill which cuts very nice into metals like aluminium, copper and thin steel plates without gripping the material.

Didn't see the usb rectangle:

For rectangular measure out the rectangle or square, mark area to be cut out.

Drill within the outer marked lines and file out with a course / smooth file to the correct size.

Sometimes it's easier to cut a much larger hole than needed and attach a sheetmetal piece that you've drilled, punched or otherwise prepared. You'd make the larger hole with a rotary tool and cutoff wheel.

If it is a thin metal, it could perhaps be drilled at 3 places within the rectangular dimention, the outer covering the edges and rest can be filed off using mini file set.many times i used this method.the edges will be in correct shape.

RODALCO said:
Or

use a hole punch tool.
I have one which is like a pair of pliers, in which you can insert different diameter punch and hollow counter punches.
Works very well in Aluminium plates up to 5mm thick.

I really like the idea for a USB punch tool. Where can I find these? Can I make one of my own?

The metal is very thin, Site area to punch is on the back side of the DVR unit. The USB rectangle is very small, and are is a little cramped. Can I fit a usb punch tool there? Tool would have to be the size of medium pliers.

I want a perfect USB rectangle and the metal is very thin.

Last edited:
stevef22 said:
I really like the idea for a USB punch tool. Where can I find these? Can I make one of my own?

You can probably buy one?, but it's likely to be VERY expensive - they are intended for production facilities. Over the years all sorts of punches have been (and are) available, such as D connectors etc.

Quite a bit of sheetmetal punching is done on a punch press w/appropriate punch/die sets. Greenlee, among others, makes punch/die sets that are used without a press. As a rule, the punch and die are drawn together by means of a bolt. You might look at Greenlee to see if they have one - or to get the sense of how they work in case you want to make your own.

This is what I use for odd shaped holes.
https://www.radioshack.com/product/...1&origkw=nibbler&kw=nibbler&parentPage=search

You'll have to drill a pilot hole,5/16" if I remember correctly, then you insert the nibbler to cut just about any shape you want. The cutter head is about 1/4" square but you can turn it to nibble on the corner, or use the flat side for slotting or square shapes. Mine is about 10 years old and still works fine..
I gave the radio shack link , but others may have it as well....

Punch tool

The one i use only punches round holes.
Bought one for about NZ$ 80 ( US$ 60 ) a couple of years ago.

The usb port was filed out as posted in my earlier reply.

May post a pic if i don't forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back