How to set up an led circuit for an xbox 360 modchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnos36

Hi everyone, to start with I'm from an I.T hardware and software background, but have no experience or real understanding of electronics so please excuse me for saying something stupid.

I completed my first soldering project recently which was adding a mod chip for a separate nand space and jtag hack on the xbox 360. I loved soldering, and I want a more complete knowledge of all aspects of I.T, including the electronics side.
But for now I'm embarking on a second project, which is a Mod chip for the 360, which pulses any LED's attached to it, to the beat of any music outputting from the 360. Also has various settings to fade LED's. The Chip is called pulsevu 2x. It says it can control up too 150 LED's. The installation page advices taking vcc from the side of a 5v resistor on the 360's motherboard, then a circuit of LED's with a point on the chip for GND. I've been researching parallel and series circuits and how to calculate resistor values that I should use. What I was confused about is how on earth I power all the LED's I want from a 5v source. I could get a 12v source too but I don't know if it would work. I plan to use about 30 blue 10mm LED's, the spec is as follows:

Technical Specifications

Source Material: InGaN
Emitting Colour: Blue
Emitting Wavelength (nm): 465-470
Size: 10mm
Intensity (mcd): 7000-10000
Viewing Angle (deg): 20
Forward Voltage (V): 3.0-3.3
Forward Current (mA): 20-30

So I read that if I did it in series I could power 1 from a 5v source, but every thing I read says parallel and LED shouldn't be in the same sentence. Or should I take it from the 12v source and do parallel sets of about 3 LED's in series, each with their own resistor? I'm really confused could someone please suggest how I would layout the circuit, series or parallel, how to use resistor configuration. I don't understand how the 5v source could power 150 LED's

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yes, you need a series resistor to limit the current to the LEDS.

Each LED needs iys own series resistor, for just over 20mA, I'd use a 82R resistor, you can buy rolls of 100 resistors pretty cheaply.

Could you please post the datasheet for the LED controller you intend to use?

Specs

The PulseVU 2 can handle up to 360mA of LEDs, which is equivalent to 18 20mA LEDs in parallel. The PulseVU 2X can handle up to 3A of LEDs, which is 150 20mA LEDs in parallel. Each version of the PulseVU can also connect to the Power Extender, which adds an additional 3A of power. These can be chained together to provide as much power for your LEDs as your power supply can handle.

The PulseVU 2 also has a message detection feature, which will temporarily disable the PulseVU when the Wii is controlling the lightbar. This will keep the PulseVU from interfering with the normal operation of the Wii. The PulseVU 2X has extra controls which enable it to also power the Xbox360's Ring of Light.

Thats the only real data from their website, didn't see that before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…