Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to setup this Simulation correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

**broken link removed**

Is (H - L) variable resistor? Rt = 3.3K set = (w) is this how you apply it in the schematic,

I want to set this up and run it. Pretty cool, the Top of the schematic is a spice directive correct?

Sorry about that Ron,

Thanks Erick.

Yes, the top command is a Spice directive. The {w} is the variable that is stepped by the directive (note the curlicues that must be used in the pot parameter for the w).

I'm not sure if the pot (U1, U2, U3) is part of the standard LTspice model library, thus you may need to download it from the Yahoo LTspice users group.

The pot is not in the standard LTS library. The User Group has it.
Rtot (or Rt, depending on which model you get) sets the total resistance of the pot and w sets the wiper position (from 0 to 1).

Thanks, I wanted to put in a 10k p0t on my Plasma Speaker Schematic and complete the audio portion.

alec_t , by the way I like the dragon, images are so much better in this software.

I redid the simulation using a subcircuit for the pot, instead of burying it in a library. The zip file, when unzipped into a clean subdirectory, will create PotTest.asc (schematic & simulation file), Potentionmeter.asy (the symbol for the pot), and Potentiometer.sub (a text based model of how the pot works).

I'm also including a .jpg with is a screen dump showing the test circuit, waveforms, the symbol, the pot subcircuit, and the netlist just before the simulator runs it.

Attachments

• PotEx.jpg
    PotEx.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Pot.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 138
I redid the simulation using a subcircuit for the pot, instead of burying it in a library. The zip file, when unzipped into a clean subdirectory, will create PotTest.asc (schematic & simulation file), Potentionmeter.asy (the symbol for the pot), and Potentiometer.sub (a text based model of how the pot works).

I'm also including a .jpg with is a screen dump showing the test circuit, waveforms, the symbol, the pot subcircuit, and the netlist just before the simulator runs it.

I'm sure glad you have an airplane in your Avatar, cause airplanes is all I'm seeing:p

Just kidding.

Thanks, Mike

kv

Hi Kv

Here's a simulation of your plasma circuit with some minor adjustments. I can post the files if you like.

Attachments

• PlasmaSpk-2.png
    PlasmaSpk-2.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 179
alec_t , by the way I like the dragon
Thanks. I can't claim credit for the clip-art dragon but I recently gave him a bit of Welsh scenery as background.

Hi Kv

Here's a simulation of your plasma circuit with some minor adjustments. I can post the files if you like.

Your simulation looks a lot better, I would like to complete it, if you could post the files I would appreciate it.

Thanks, E

Thanks. I can't claim credit for the clip-art dragon but I recently gave him a bit of Welsh scenery as background.

Some people in my family try to claim their Welch but, I know where were from, 4 generations back my family came from an area known back then as Lower Peover, which is no where near Wales.

That explains the Dragon "Cymru" Flag.

Here you go.

Just unzip in a folder and open the .asc file

eT

I just did a simulation on it with what I had and it was really ugly. I mean bad.

I'll see if I can build it on your design.

Thanks.

kv

Last edited:
Ok.

But....its not my design...:)

eT

Really, so where did you get it? I noticed that the SG3525A is marked differently, so much more is different. Holy heck, I'm laughing.

The wave form is different on outa and outb it's as near perfect as could be.

I'm confused where did this happen and if possible who deserves the credit?

Thanks,

kv

Really, so where did you get it? I noticed that the SG3525A is marked differently, so much more is different. Holy heck, I'm laughing.

The wave form is different on outa and outb it's as near perfect as could be.

I'm confused where did this happen and if possible who deserves the credit?

Thanks,

kv

The design and credit belongs to whomever you got the original circuit. There were many good contributions by others in this thread.
All I did was make a couple of adjustments:

1. I marked the pin numbers on the SG3525 to make it easier to follow connections when reviewing the circuit against other schematics, data sheets, etc.
2. I change the GDT inductance to 5mh, per some research I did for designing gate drive transformers. I think this value is more appropriate for 50Khz.
3. Removed the cap between the SG3525 and the GDT because its not needed. (I think someone else in this, or another thread, also pointed this out)
4. Added a small amount of resistance between the GDT and SG3525 to limit the output current to less that 200ma (per the data sheet).

I think that's all, but may have forgotten something.. o_O

Anyway, I had some free time so I thought I'd take a stab at modifying it a little. :)

It was fun, and besides, this simulation stuff is kinda cool. :cool:

eT

3. Removed the cap between the SG3525 and the GDT because its not needed. (I think someone else in this, or another thread, also pointed this out)
eT

That was ronsimpson, I tried to find the post, and couldn't but I do remember him saying, why is it there. I think shortbus did in another forum.

It's probably the reason my first circuit didn't work, still I needed to go through all of this.

I really needed to dig down deeper into the circuit.

Thanks, ETO member's your awesome;)

Edit: I found another post on the cap issue, by alec_t https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/explain-how-a-center-tap-push-pull-gdt-works.138602/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back