how to store power in passive elements ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIREN DAVE

Hi,
I have 1 constant source that gives me 12mA DC and 1.5V dc. I want to generate 3V and 500mA. So can I store power in passive elements and use as i need. It is like, I have little water fall. I will first place water in one tank than 2nd and 3rd. Now when i want to use big fall i will open it from tank, not from source.. Is it possible ? how?

The way that comes to mind is to charge a battery with the small power source. Once you have stored enough you can withdraw it from the battery for a shorter time at the higher rate.

LTC has some very nice SMPS chips (and circuits) for this purpose (which I have used): excellent for "harvesting" low power sources.

And ronv is correct: super caps is are ideal for this use.

Just curious, what is your power source?

For that matter what is his load?, he's supplied almost no information at all - I get the horrible thought (as is common in these vague requests) that he's expecting to get continuous output of his required level, rather than occasional bursts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…