how to transform mono TV into stereo sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranatungawk

i have a Sony Trinitron KV type Mono sound TV. i need to transform it into stereo sound. please let me how to do this... any circuit...?

You can't, there's no stereo information in a mono signal.

There have been crude psuedo-stereo adaptors over the years, but they don't make it stereo.

Why would you want to do this anyway?.

i have a Sony Trinitron KV type Mono sound TV. i need to transform it into stereo sound. please let me how to do this... any circuit...?

If you spot the schematic of the same model that you own in " Stereo Version " , you could possibly add the missing parts.
Most of the times they use the same PCB with lesser components , at the Mono version.

If you spot the schematic of the same model that you own in " Stereo Version " , you could possibly add the missing parts.
Most of the times they use the same PCB with lesser components , at the Mono version.

That rather assumes that the set has that capability, and the software already in the processor for it - but hardly worth it anyway for a CRT set that's worth next to nothing.

It would also rather depend on stereo TV been available in the OP's country, which he hasn't mentioned.

When stereo TV first came out there were some receivers available. I had a Radio Shack tuner and about six months ago while cleaning out a closet I throw it out. The actual audio extraction is a bit complicated. It is supersonic audio subcarrier based like stereo FM but it uses dtx companding which is a custom compression/expansion chip.

Time to get an LCD flatpanel TV.

You could use the tuner from an old VCR. That should have a stereo output.

The system compatibility as PAL & NTSC , its not our interest for the moment.

Technically its just an crystal that are deferent (sound) , so to operate on either system.

Last edited:
Your response puzzles me. Are stereo VCRs unique to the U.S.A.?

No, but TV standards are different in different countries, so any American VCR is likely to be useless in Europe.

I don't think that TV with analogue stereo was ever used in the UK. NICAM stereo is a digital stereo audio system on analogue TV.

I've got a portable CRT telly that I bought in France. I had to change the audio subcarrier filter to get it to work here in the UK, even though I had checked that it had a PAL option, when it used SECAM in France. I think that the PAL was set for Germany. So that's 3 different standards, in an area not much bigger than Texas. America uses NTSC which is different again.

The system compatibility as PAL & NTSC , its not our interest for the moment.

Technically its just an crystal that are deferent (sound) , so to operate on either system.

Sorry man. It's a filter. Normally little brown thing with three legs.

Cheers

I understand there are numerous TV standards. But my original reply was somewhat generic. I suggested using an old VCR as a tuner without specifying its origin. But Nigel's reply implied that stereo VCRs were only used in the U.S.A. Thus my question.

Your response puzzles me. Are stereo VCRs unique to the U.S.A.?

No, but mono VCR's are commonplace as well - the UK uses the high quality NICAM digital stereo, on both TV's and VCR's (or 'did', as analogue switch off is under way).

No, but mono VCR's are commonplace as well - the UK uses the high quality NICAM digital stereo, on both TV's and VCR's (or 'did', as analogue switch off is under way).
Which brings up another point. Don't the digital tuner adapters, which will be required for all old analog sets once the switch is off, provide a stereo output?

Yes they do, but not much help feeding a mono TV

If the digital tuner has a SCART output, you could easily wire the left and right audio to a stereo amplifier of your choice, turn the volume down on the TV, and you have stereo sound.

If the digital tuner has a SCART output, you could easily wire the left and right audio to a stereo amplifier of your choice, turn the volume down on the TV, and you have stereo sound.

Yes, and it's a common way of dpoing it - but as the OP still hasn't mentioned where he might live, we don't even know if they have stereo TV or digital either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…