how to transmit or remotely view video over telephone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

abel2b

Hi! I`m a small business man and I need to monitor my business once in a while due to health issues. I need help in building a simple remote video monitoring system via telephone without the need of a pc. Comercial units are too expensive for my budget, not to mention shipments to Argentina!!!!!

I need to remotely view one or two cameras over any telephone, somewher along the line of a monitor and receiver at my end, and a camera conected to a phone line.

At least point me to the right direction on what type of modem I have to build and how I interface it with a video camara.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanky very much.
Abe Martin.
abel06077@yahoo.com

Re: how to transmit or remotely view video over telephone li

Basically you don't!.

The bandwidth of phone lines is massively too small for video, the video phones that are available use extremely small screens (very low resolution), and a very low frame rate - basically giving a small number of low quality still images.

The best way (only cheap way?) is to use ADSL, have a camera system connected to a router, and connect to it from a computer anywhere in the world via the internet.

We have a security hard drive recorder at work, it includes an ethernet port for this exact purpose - allowing you to select one or multiple images from the different cameras that it records - or play back the recordings if you wish.

That is the best way and you could use webcams and reguler video cams and have them on the web so you could view them anywhere with internet access.

**broken link removed**
The amateur radio community has been sending SSTV over the airwaves for some time now, some of thier circuits may be of use.

tansis said:
http://cobalt.junct.com/ramon/getstart.html
The amateur radio community has been sending SSTV over the airwaves for some time now, some of thier circuits may be of use.

Yes, it's been common for a great many years, but SSTV is still frame only, of low resolution, and taking 20-30 seconds for a single picture!.

Thank you for the info it has been most helpfull, and I want to add that I have searching the us patent office database and found 2 patents describing a system. how about rf transmission.

abel2b said:
Thank you for the info it has been most helpfull, and I want to add that I have searching the us patent office database and found 2 patents describing a system. how about rf transmission.

For RF transmission you would need an RF link between the two sites, that may or may not be possible, depending on the distance and terrain.

You would also probably need licensing to do it, and both the licence and equipment would be expensive.

You can use the phone line if you buffer your video. Say for example take 10 minutes of very low quality video and then send it across the phone lines. But that will be painstakingly slow.

Your best bet would to be what's suggested above. Get more bandwidth. There's simply not enough "space" if you will in a 4khz channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…