Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use oscilloscope to store waveform for viewing later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naseeam

I'm using Tektronix TDS 320 Two Channel Oscilloscope. I am probing one of RS-485 differential signal on my target board. I see the messages sweeping across the screen but I need to save the waveform for say Five seconds. How do I use the storage scope to save and view the waveforms?

Thank you.

I am not sure of the memory depth of TDS320 but I think is is 1000 samples per trigger. This would not be nearly enough to save 5 seconds worth of data unless it is very low bit rate. You will need at least 5 samples, preferably 10, per observed bit.

Last edited:
You can use REF 1 or REF 2 and save the waveform indefinately. You can also set up for a single sweep and it will retain on the screen whatever you sweep during single sweep. Do you have the manual for the scope? If not then give this a read.

Thank you for the manual. I press REF 1 , Save CH1 to Ref1, but my waveform sweeps somewhat fast on the scope screen. I don't think it was saved to REF 1. will couple screens of data save to REF 1. Please tell me the steps to save
and recall waveform to REF 1.

You are simply trying to save a single screen shot of your waveform(s) right? Just to be sure. Read page 3-40 for Single Acquisition Mode. You really need to read a little to understand how your scope works. Also read on triggering in the manual and auto modes.

Ron

Page 3-43 and it all depends on if the scope has Option 14 installed. With the right interface you can run the outputs to a printer and print. I have a small Tek scope at work I use sometimes that has a floppy drive I can save screen shots to. Everything you are asking is covered in the manual I linked to. The trick is learning to use the scope and knowing its capabilities.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back