Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use RS 232 to close a circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotails81

Picture this: I got a regular LED and I got my switch, when i flip the switch the LED comes on, and off if i flip it again, its just a regular circuit. Now how can i flip the switch using my computer? I can manipulate my RS232 port through programming. Right now i think i need like a TTL chip to do so, but anybody have a better simpler idea to do this?

Thanks

I posted this a short while ago in answer to a similar question.

How about this.
Use a RS232 flow control signal that you can toggle on the PC. Maybe RTS.

Use that signal to switch a transistor.

Have that transistor switch a relay.
The following circuit is more complex but it shows what transistor and discretes are needed to drive a relay from RS232.
A Hardware watchdog and shutdown button
You can do the same thing with the RTS signal but since you are just driving an LED all you need is resistor of the right value to limit the current to the LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back