Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to wire a weed eater generator to a power strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awyatt8791

So here's the deal I'm homeless living in a shed and I dont have light so I have a weed eater motor and alternator was wondering how I could wire the alternator to power a power strip so I can at least have a lamp and charge my phone

Its not very practical to generate mains voltages with a vehicle alty, better to use it as it was intended with a 12v battery, and use car 12v bulbs for your light and maybe a car charger for your 'phone.
The case of the alty requires a ground (battery -), the heavier terminal goes to battery +, and the snall terminal goes through a 1.2w 12v bulb to battery + via a switch to start it generating.
This is true for an older 2 wire alty, newer digital 3 wire ones are a lot more complex and require special signals to make power and do not have regulation built in.
Some care needs to be taken here as an alty can make a lot of power, a job for someone with experience.
A weed eater might be too snall, you need around 3hp for a alty, might work if you gear it down with your pulley arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back