HP monitor power light turns on and off

NewbieRepair

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm new to electronics repair.

I have an HP LA2006x monitor that's giving me some trouble. The display doesn't come on at all. When I power it up, the power light turns on for a second or two, then goes off, and this cycle keeps repeating.

I couldn't find any obvious signs of failure - no burn marks. Capacitors seem fine (none are bulging). I tried different cables, outlets etc... Issue is still the same.

I'm not sure what to try next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It may be the capacitors in the internal power supply, since it is powered by an AC line cord. Many older monitors have faulty capacitors (due to aging) in the AC to DC power supply, visible by the swelling (or leaking) of the capacitors. Usually replacing just the capacitors will fix the issue (usually 4 to 6 of them, depending on design).
When the caps are swollen, their capacitance changes drastically, causing the power supply to start and it then detects a "bad" voltage or condition, then shuts down. Once the caps are discharged in a second or two, the power supply starts up again, then faults again, over and over...
Even though you looked the caps over, I would check again around the power supply...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…