Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Huge led matrix - what chip do I need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm building a huge led matrix out of bi colour leds with a common cathode. So there are two anodes, one for each colour and a gnd pin. I'm confused as to which chip to buy. Is it not possible to buy an led driver that would drive 144 leds arranged into sixteen 3*3 matrix. I was under the impression an led driver, is basically a power source for leds. Ideally this should be either soic or pdip. If possible I would like invididual control to every single led as well (not absolutely nesscessary but fun to play with )

Last edited:
What kind of price range are you looking at? Electronics will scale easily, but so will the price, if you don't have a ballpark you might be in for some serious sticker shock.

I mistakenly brought an led driver for common anode leds. This is why I've asked.
Would it be possible to use one to drive the cathodes using the mm5451 then use a shift register to drive the anodes?
Reason being the leds are common cathode hence it's the anode I need to drive to switch betweem red and green. Also if am not mistaken by using th led driver I wouldn't need to solder 288 resistors lol.

The easiest option for me is pdip since I'm not very good at soldering at all. MOst of the circuits I solder work eventually but it's by no means professional soldering.

I get the two for around a fiver so that well within budget. Since this is just for the sake of me
learning something I don't think it's worth spending more than that.

Last edited:
Not that many led drivers that source current, Maxim has them. I am surprised that I never run across the TLC5920 before, which is a constant current led matrix driver (i.e. 16 bit source and 8 bit mux sink in same package). It would take two of them for individual on/off led control of a 16 x 8 dual color matrix (1/16 duty cycle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back