huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenzee

(first of all I'm new to this forum, so please go easy on me

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/400937/candle_power_who_needs_batteries

This looks like a total hoax to me. Has anyone tried it? Here's why I think it's a hoax:

a) There's no connection between the nails so this circuit is open. How can any current flow?
b) The light comes on a fraction of a second BEFORE the second candle is fully lit
c) The light stays on a fraction of a second AFTER the candle goes out
d) There is no way those nails would get significantly magnetized, not the way he rubs the permanent magnet against them. From what I recall in HS physics, you had to do it in one direction only, no back and forth
e) It's not one continuous shot, so I suspect there are wires behind the candles, connected to a switch and a battery
f) He reaches behind the table every time light switches on or off
g) The light turns on and off instantly, not gradually as you might expect and there is no fluctuation in the brightness level at all
h) 90+% of the user comments are deleted, LOL.

I know that in electrohydrodynamic power generation they force super-heated, ionized steam through a strong magnetic field to generate electricity and I suppose - at least in theory - it would be possible to do the same thing with the plasma in a candle flame, but I don't think this experiment comes anywhere close to that phenomenon, if indeed that is what he's trying to do. What do you think?

Just try watching the video - look at his left hand when the bulb switches ON and OFF - it's under the table, obviously working a switch!.

I wonder how he is getting a complete circuit? Sure looks funny with the hand and all though... I would have atleast used a foot switch!

The lure of free or so called 'alternative' energy is so strong people will believe anything, even things that obviously have no basis in reality. Sad but true.

It's very obvious he's using both hands at times to activate a switch hidden under the table. Take special notice how he finds the need to exchange the piezo lighter to the other hand to light the remaining candle. You can see his wrist flex ever so slightly... activating the hidden switch. Also note that we don't see the complete lengths of the clip leads... as they drape over the snack table's edge (hint: connects to the switch!). That video is amateurish and a steaming pile of crap. It gives science a tarnished image as well as Houdini turning in his grave.

It is a video. It can be stopped and started at any time. But it looks continuous.
The first part was made weeks ago.
Then the video was stopped and he connected the wires to the switch and a battery.

audioguru said:
It is a video. It can be stopped and started at any time. But it looks continuous.
The first part was made weeks ago.
Then the video was stopped and he connected the wires to the switch and a battery.

True, I didn't think about that right away. They cut to a closeup to show the "magnet rubbing" - Who knows what else he did All these seem like alot of effort for hoaxes. He dosn't appear to want to sell plans, or magic candles, or anything for it. Why waste time deceiving gullable people?

You guys are all wrong ! It does work !
I power my whole house with two large, garbage can sized candles.
Anybody wana buy a bridge.
sam

Its no joke... ive been doin it for years.......... turning on a bulb with a switch, that is ..

I saw this one awhile ago: **broken link removed**

"These two wires running into a panel are unimportant...They just run to a few batteries"

Remember Polaroid instant cameras? They had a very skinny 6V alkaline battery in the package of film. A bunch of them are in the lid of the suitcase and power the inverter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…