Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HV in a laptop???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, as I was hacking this laptop (basically just an euphemism for ripping it apart).
I saw this "High Voltage" sign on the back of the LCD. Can someone please explain to me what this is doing in a laptop?

Attachments

• HV1.JPG
    HV1.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 101
  • HV2.JPG
    HV2.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 101
Cold cathode = no filament. Florescent = a little mercury in a tube and a phosphor and you guesed it, a high voltage. About 300 V or so, I believe.

It's the backlight for the LCD screen. Without the light, the screen would be very dark.

New technology is LED backlit.

Transformer based, and fairly low current.

Edit: Post 556 :)

Last edited:
They use an inverter. So as you hack away, note the backlight(s) and follow the wires. You should find the inverter power supply that drives them. :)

AC and give this a read.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Usually when I'm busy with my "HACK ATTACK" I'm in such an euphoric haste, that I tend to miss these things.
As for now, I'll stop the hacking, and go to bed, since it's 2:30 in the morning in my part of the world. Cheers

Hanno

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back